LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Archerfish by BarraGuru

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Archerfish by BarraGuru
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 1:01am
Hi there,

I have been very lucky and have been offered another great handmade lure.
Carved from timber the lure was produced by BarraGuru, and this one is fashioned to look like an Archerfish.
A common prey for the Barramundi.
And the lure do look like an Archerfish:

The BarraGuru Archerfish.

At first sight, it could be mistaken for a rattle spot or some kind of vibe lure. But the bib and tow point on the nose, are sure hints of a different type of beast.
Weighted in the belly, the lure stand upright in the water, even when not moving.
Thus it will enable these very slow, twitch and pause kind of retrieve, so effective when fishing for Barramundi. It was clearly created with one fish in mind.

The paint job, is very subtle, and the colours change in a dramatic ways, depending of the incidence of light on the lure. His large sides will send some nice flash underwater.
And should be very efficient in some of our dark and murky rivers, along some mangrove edges.

View of the belly.

It is signed under the belly, and you can see how the colours change with a different angle of view, compared with the first image.

From another angle.

I just like how the colour can change, and the overall finish of this lure.
Just imagine it shivering above a snag habited by an old, hungry mama Barramundi...

Ready for action.

This is a lure that I am very happy to have, thank you Tony.
Once again Tony, the maker of the BarraGuru lures, has worked hard to make a beautiful lure. A lure that could easily stand in a collector display, with no shame.
Yet, I think that I will have to swim this one, and give it a chance to catch me a nice fish.
I know and I fear it: it might come back full of scratch, with some very damaged colours...
But hey...

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 1:27pm
They are sensational and do indeed look just like the archer fish I've seen. Tony makes great lures.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 9:34pm
Nice looking lures and colours, thanks for the pics, regards Chris
Carlos Borges View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlos Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 12:26pm
Fantastic, congratulations....

a big hug from Brasil...
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:20pm
Tony I had never thought of doing a lure in the Archer Fish style,what a great idea I thought and so I started today. I will keep you posted.Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 2:48pm
Hi there,

Lofty, great idea, this is exciting time, and I will wait to see what your archerfish look like.

From my non lure maker point of view, they alway said that we have to try to match the hatch.
And the number of times I saw some archerfish in the same waters than Barra...
It then makes sense to try to fish for Barra with an archerfish.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 3:15pm
Lofty, have used three tiny ball sinkers to ballast, hope this helps. Makes them sit low in water at rest, bib then gets them swimming nicely.
Regis, don't tell anyone, but barra love archerfish, especially live-baited in Darwin harbour creeks LOL.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:02am
Thanks for the heads up Tony .Lofty
N.Stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N.Stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:45am
Man I would love to have given that lure a work out in Lakefield N.P. Archers are a lagoon Barras favourite snack I reckon!

An excellent lure mate
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:06pm
Here is an archer fish lure Barney Minnow gave me last year for field testing his lures. He stopped making them in the mid ninties. Nice lure -
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 11:51pm
Hi Horrorhead,

This is a nice lure too.
Did you tested it?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:54am
Martin, Barney was kind enough to swap me one for one of mine at the Expo. Has yours got 'Charlie' written underneath?
Barney told me was the name of his pet Archerfish in his home tank, great story LOL. He's definitely a better craftsman than me.
Seaweed.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 12:55pm
Morning Tony just thought you would like a look,the big one is 11cm and the smaller 9cm.Love Charlie .Lofty
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 2:18pm
Great job Lofty
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 3:08pm
Hi Tony , 
yes Martins lure has 'Charlie' writ underneath.
l took several up north with me back in april , and one guy at a boat ramp bought all of them off me.
l think l have 3 left at home. The original , and two others.
Barney.
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 1:06am
Hi there,

Very nice lures lofty.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:35am
OK, that's it, no more Archerfish from me, can't compete with the skills of you blokes LOL.
Amazing Lofty, just happy I gave you the idea. Your's and Barney's 'Charlie' are special.
Regards, Seaweed.
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:48am
Tony! its not a competition! LOL
l was very happy to trade with youSmile its all about 'difference' :)
been working on a newer Charlie for some time , but all the other stuff has pushed Charlie onto the backburnerLOL
Barney.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:19pm
Tony your Archer Fish inspired me and Barneys is beautiful, there are 3 different lures of the same fish on show each unique and hand made.How bloody good is that boysOhYeahLofty
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:54pm

So,

Wich lure will be the first to catch a fish.
Wink

Sadly, I don't have much time to fish at the moment.
Cry

Have a good day, 
Pecheur

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
all those lures are winners,very nice work boysThumbs Up
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 6:14pm
Just got back to this topic, no havn't swum charlie yet and don't know if I'm game to (but probably will). Lofty and Seaweed - your archers are tops.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic