LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Werner Kossman (WK)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The good old days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The good old days
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 4:25pm
Here are some pics of some very influential lures in their day as well as 3 of the main influences in the early days of high speed spinning from the rocks.

1oz,2oz and 3oz Arrow and a 4oz Action at the bottom.All made by Werner Kossman.

The Journey is the Reward

Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 6:22pm
Hi Barry
Nothing new under the sun, these almost identical, range of hexagonal high speed spinners, some with foil,  came out in Sweden too,
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 10:13pm
Very nice display Wayne.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 11:42pm
It's interesting what works some places, doesn't work in other place.
My Swedish mate sais the big ABU Stainless Steel spoon (ABU Pirka) with lead weight and big eyes, were the worse deep sea jigging lure ABU ever made.
I love them and have pinnied a few big Trevally 30lb+ with them.
cheers mate
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:32am
coarses for horses.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 1:03am
did they ever do painted versions of the arrows Barry?,i think i used to have some of those in flouro colors.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:21am
I guess the Arrows were Aussie made lures Chris.
The Swedish made (called sextette) were always Chromed with foil on one  side.
cheers
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:06am
Yes there were painted versions by Werner.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 7:19pm
Wayne.
The Arrows were made by Werner Kossmann, a German immigrant and one of the pioneers of high speed spinning in the 60's. He took the basic chrome hex bar lure made by many people in the 1950's and did some refinements.
Werner also has several deep water jigs and trolling lures like the Bristle that the Cap'n has shown above.

Darbs
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:26pm
Yes I remember using the WK arrow as known to me, with my big blue Mitchell 489 I think?
Ended up doing more lighter fishing with the fluttering Toby which cold target a greater range of fish in many different environments.
The Mitchell was before my first Ambassadeur which I got when I was 21.
cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
antique2647 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique2647 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 4:28pm
have in front of me jig lure in original plactic bag unopened    ...pretty sure it is of the late 60,s early 70,s jig marked WrKm A-jig 8..... has single hook manuf....Evli mfg lawson crs coffs h     just 4 interest does it have any specific value????.....rex V, Albury
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:01pm
Rex it is a nice lure but I think at this stage in collecting it's value is in the nostalga.As years pass it may get into the more valuable stage particularly with the packaging.
Value could be into the 10-20 dollar mark depending how much someone wants it. Nice to have and thankyou for the info.

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:16am

Werner Fly (?)

Many years ago Werner moved to Forster/Tuncurry on NSW mid north coast and I had the pleasure of a visit and chat.

The following pic is of a fly or dressed hook he gave me.

I tried to stay away from his orange distilled grappa, but fell prey to its grip and subsequent headache!!

wadey

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 10:13am
IVE seen them before wadey hunter sports mayfield $ 1 .75......had afew rust to death in the 80sTongueTongueTongue
antique2647 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antique2647 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:59pm
thanks for your reply...... if you are a collector of wk, i will send it up to you if you wish, as it will only sit in my cupboard.....Rex, Albury,nsw
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 7:47pm
the top ones look like old Allan keys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic