Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lure Factory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lure Factory
    Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:04pm
Guys, here is another obscure NT maker. Timber, metal bib, nice paint, only one I have from the 90's.
No longer around, be interested if anyone else has one, also hoping this may help others fill-in an unknown in their collection.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:19pm
Big smileBig smileBig smileTHATS avery very nice looking bit of wood tonyClapClapClapClapClap
fishing man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishing man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 2:49pm
Nice looking lure. Love the paintjob
Cheers

Ben
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 8:40pm
Awesome paintwork, great looking lure.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:03pm
Nice lure and I am still waiting to find one.
The Journey is the Reward

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
Good addition to the NT section, thanks Tony.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 2:00pm
Funny, only one I've ever seen since I purchased new in the 90's. The tackle outlet has changed hands
several times and is now one of those Tackleworld franchises. No longer find the timber crafted lures unfortunately. Barry, if I ever stumble upon another it's yours.
Regards, Tony.
Kadaitcha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadaitcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 9:14pm
Nice one mate' thats only the 3rd one I've ever seen!
I picked up 2 of them, both carded about 10 years ago that were just gathering dust on a board in a boat shop in QLD........... they are a longer slimmer type tho!
Will post some pics down the track a bit.

Cheers Les
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:07pm
Wowee, This brings back memories. Nice pic!
I can tell you abit about the history of the lure factory if you like. It's great to see some of these still floating around the place.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by agentjss agentjss wrote:

Wowee, This brings back memories. Nice pic!
I can tell you abit about the history of the lure factory if you like. It's great to see some of these still floating around the place.

look forward to finding out some more.
the fish aren't art critics
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:50pm
It started out as a small family business that my father (George Scotland) started in Darwin in mid 90s. They are all hand crafted from start to finish. My dad would cut out the timber blank and shape it while i would twist the eyelets and cut the bib to shape. Then lots of hours of sanding and dipping in sealers etc, then painting. My father did all the painting, that's where he spent most of his time. It's kinda his form of art.
Every single lure was unique & different in some way and was made with actual care. All lures had been tested and tuned to swim true before eagle claw hooks were added (some times we used other brands as well), then they were carded for sale at either the markets or at only 1 fishing shop as previously stated. (which is still owned by the same bloke, only it's had a few name changes and makeovers since then).
There were heaps of different shapes and sizes and huge range of colours. We made poppers, broken backs etc etc. We even made teasers for game fishing.
Strange to find them in a shop in Q.L.D though.
We stopped making them because it is to hard to compete with the plastic stuff on the shelves now days.
anyway there you go, a little bit of history to go with these lures.
My dad still makes threats about making them again as a hobbie and keep the old school way of lure making alive, maybe/hopefully he'll sell a few as well.
Plus my tackle box is getting rather empty now days "c'mon hurry up dad"
Thanks for reading........... cheers Jamie
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:00pm
Thanks for sharing the information Jamie.

Good looking finish on them I'm sure there ould be a few sales if your Dad got into them again though it sounds like you need a few for the tacklebox.

Be good to see a few more pics of them.

the fish aren't art critics
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:06pm
If i find some pics i'll be happy to post them. No worries.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:03am
Thanks for the story Jamie, shame all the good makers can't compete with imports. Nicely designed backing card also, look forward to seeing a few pics of your collection.
Regards, Seaweed.
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:30pm
Great story Jamie,,I think you should just carry the old man down to the shed & let him go,,I am sure the members would buy all you could make,,mate they look a real good lure,,Gary
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 4:02pm
Hi there,

It is great to have some first hand information, thanks for that, it is a good story.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:14am
Jamie, the one pictured is presently at the N.T. Museum in the 'Gone Fishin' display, get yourself down there during the next 6 months, definitely worth a look. Yesterday, after reading your story, I had a dig and may have uncovered a couple more I put in my 'unknowns' box. I'll dig them out for a pic, see if you can identify.
Regards, Seaweed.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:26pm
Barry I found one but Tony wanted to keep it. Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:28pm
In the museum you say! hahaha that's great, dad will be stoked, i'll check the museum next time around there.
I tried looking for some pics but none are worthy of posting on here. I'll get the folks check for some as well. I checked my tackle box and i have 1 of our lures left. It's only half painted and not finished (not sealed or red sash on the throat). I reckon it was a bad paint job so it got chuck in the "back up" tackle box.
I know for a fact that dad doesn't have anymore lures on cards (still new) so if anyone has one they want to sell or get rid off let me know because i'll get it framed for him. A complete lure including card would put a smile on his dial that's for sure. Sounds abit corny, but it'll just be good you know.
Oh and the pic on the card was drawn by a family friend one night over a few drinks. It was his interpretation of the backyard shed the lures were made in.
i'll keep you posted on some pics and stuff.
jamie

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:54pm
Jamie
 I have seen the lure tony has and I worked hard on him as I was seriously impressed with it. Isn't it funny that cottage made has great value to those who  try to make their own. Perhaps they know the TLC involved in producing a lure as good as the one displayed. I endorse Simon's comments about rekindling the fire. Congratulate your Dad and pass on our best wishes.

Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:03pm
G'day Jamie

I met your father George & his lure making partner Mark Dredge(off memory)when they were making lures for a living out at a commercial shed located in Palmerston, at the time two youngsters were busy twisting the lure wire eyelets up,so that may have been you & a mate? George & Mark used to sell most of their lures up at the Palmerston Friday night markets & one of the local tackle outlets.

Ironically years later a bloke walked into my yard chasing some more of the lures that his sister had bought for him as a Chrissy present, they were actually Lure Factory Lures & unbeknown to me Mark had lived at the other end of my street, whats the chances of walking into the wrong yard & finding another person who makes lures.

They made a nice lure & both were good blokes who enjoyed what they done, last I heard your dad was living at Dundee & taking it a bit easier, say g'day for me & good luck with chasing the lures up, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:56pm
Hi Balls, ahh the saga of the "commercial shed". Yes they did have a shed to work from when the business was growing, it lasted for a few months until they got broken into and all there painting gear, tools and heap more stuff got stolen. That really hurt them and is also one of the reasons why they stopped making them.
Mark is my uncle and it was his close mate that designed the logo on the card. He came into the business when things started to grow pretty fast.
hahaha funny you remember two kids twisting wire eyelets, yes one was me and i think maybe my brother.
Palmerston markets was the usual haunt on a Friday night and they usually sold out most of the good colours before 9pm But Thursday night at mindal beach was the best. I remember on a few occasions setting up at 6pm and being completely sold out by by 7pm, then taking orders of colours for the next week. I guess that's what happens when you sell lures for $8 small, $10 medium & $12 large. The tackle shop was top end fishing supplies. Bloody good shop and the owner was a champ.
Dad does live at Dundee now and is trying to take it easy but there's always something to do, keeps him on his toes.
I haven't had a chance to talk to my dad about this site yet, but i spoke to mum and she still has some lure factory t shirts stashed away, might try and grab one before the moths eat them.

Balls, You have a bloody good memory, hit the nail right on the head. you sound like you know my old man from around the traps, How'd you know him. i'll say Hi for you though.

Thanks every one for your input and comments i'll be sure to let him know. I was thinking of knocking up a few lures myself and keeping the tradition alive.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 8:58pm
Not corny having one of the father's lures framed - I reckon that's great memorabilia, just like reminicing thru old photosThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:11am
Was told these lures were made by a George Miller from Darwin but after reading this post am not so sure,
some paint colours/scale pattern are similar to Seaweeds lure so was wondering if Jamie could clarify ??

Maybe just a coincidense, came from an x fishing guide called Brian Porle?? 

Gristy
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 3:10pm
Jamie, these are the two I've had in my 'unknowns' box, but looking at them closely, same shape, bibs, and eyelet shapes. One has smaller eyes, this is what threw me about maker. The bottom one is older and well fished, both were sourced from Darwin junk shops at different times, so I'd say locals. No markings, the tow eyelet on both are identical to the one first posted, seeing as you were the official eyelet twister you'd know LOL
Tell me what you think. Regards, Seaweed.
agentjss View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentjss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:33pm
Capt seaweed, the 2 you posted look like the early ones dad used to make before things got abit more organized but it's hard to be sure. The eyelets look like the early ones we made from twisting the wire around a large nail until we made a actual twisting jig (thank god).
Grey nomad, I reckon all of them are are dads because they are all pretty much natural colours. aside from that green scaled one, it has a twin eyeball thing going on and that was not a common way of him doing it. Brian was a customer/mate of dads and fishing guide back then, plus in the Palmerston game fishing club together aswell.

I had my sister go and have a look at the museum and found that the name on the lure factory lure on display says Mark Dredge. How does one go about getting this fixed/corrected? My old man would have heart failure if he found that. Mark only came into the picture years after dad had started it, Plus he didn't really do much on the manufacturing side of things.
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:01pm
Thanks Jamie, i thought there would have to be a connection somewhere, is it also possible your dad
resprayed these four aswell, maybe as a special for Brian ?? two Nilsys,a Nautilus and another NT lure i have seen before but can't remember where.

Gristy

Just looked through an old Seaweed post and looks like the bottom lure might be a resprayed FM from Palmerston.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic