Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The oldest Powell lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The oldest Powell lures
    Posted: 04 May 2014 at 9:53pm
A girl at work brought me in some very old Cedar, at the end of last year.  It came from the stairs, leading to the attic, in her parents house, which was built in 1839.  Melville House is on the northern side of the Hunter River, near Maitland.  The parents were going to use the Cedar for firewood, until Steph grabbed it.  The bits that she gave me were pretty rough old stair treads, with thousands of rusted, ancient nails in them.  Fortunately, I was able to get some pieces (after removing the nails) big enough to put through our thicknesser.  The cedar was hard, dark and very knarly!

I cut a few Little Digger blanks from the timber and have carved 2 lures.

Then, there's the sad tale of one of our Illawarra members who did a bit of work in Wagga, a year or two ago.  Wadey did some maintenance work on Romano's Hotel and managed to bring some offcuts of old Cedar home.  I think he has given every luremaker in the country a piece of this cedar, in expectation of getting a nice collection of nude Romano Hotel cedar lures LOL.  Romano's was built in 1857, so these lures are my second oldest lures.  The Cedar was dark and hard (like ironbark!Confused) but it did have nice straight grain.

The Romano's Hotel Cedar was converted into a couple of Kaditchas.

Four "old" lures.

Still got Cedar from the Railway Hotel in Armidale, which was built in 1878, and the original Tenterfield High School, which was built in 1887.

My white ant inspection man gave me 2 Cedar doors, which came from his house, built in 1890

Then there's all the pieces of old Cedar from verandah and stair railing and posts, which are age unknown, but sensational to carve.

Nice to play around with a bit of history.

Cheers

Travers
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 9:56pm
Interesting, and the lures look great. Nice to have a little back ground history attached to the lures

Regards John
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 10:04pm
Rooms 3-4-7 and 8 from memory Powelly am I right or has it been too long away ???????? OH and the theatrette in front
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 11:38pm
Travers

I reckon the nail holes would add character and be a nice link with the age and history of the timber....just my opinion.

Is there any timber left with holes?
cheers steiny
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Mr Viper Mr Viper wrote:

Rooms 3-4-7 and 8 from memory Powelly am I right or has it been too long away ???????? OH and the theatrette in front

Yeah, too long, Shane!  I can't even remember the number of my old Ag room, let alone the rooms that I didn't inhabit.

@ steiny.  Those old nails were near impossible to pull out.  Most broke off.  In the end, I drilled holes around each of the nails and punched them out.  Still got a few pieces of that old cedar to clean up.

Travers
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:23am
True history in those lures - a great read Travers

MXB
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 10:28am
Great read Travers, shame about the 1839 house though, aren't those sorts of places National Trust listed? Nice to see someone taking advantage of this beaut old cedar, that would otherwise end up as firewood.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Capt.Seaweed Capt.Seaweed wrote:

Great read Travers, shame about the 1839 house though, aren't those sorts of places National Trust listed? Nice to see someone taking advantage of this beaut old cedar, that would otherwise end up as firewood.
Seaweed.

The house is still there and being lived in.  I think the rickety old stairs were replaced years ago.  The old bits were stored in a shed, or undercover, somewhere.

Travers
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 5:27pm

Travers you have excelled - yet again.

now there is this old court house out near ..........

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 5:33pm
The history helps a lot!
Otherwise it would just be,,,,,,,,,,, 
'That hard Cedar Wadey gave ya'!

DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 5:44pm
Will pay that one Mal!...Gold!
cheers steiny
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 1:32am
what a good read well done it is good to know where the wood came from
brendan t
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2014 at 8:11pm
A bit of history on Melville House, which was written about 40 years ago.

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:59am
Thanks Travers, interesting history, possibly Melville Is. N.T. also named after same.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 1:24pm
beautiful lures Travers,i made a couple of Romano's lures too ,really nice old timber that.the sense of history you get from lures made of old homes goes farther than most people realise,once I was sanding some old timber floorboards from a 1890 house (for lures),nice timber to work work with but the thing that realy got me was as I was sanding it released the smells of all the old perfumes that'd been spilled on the floor for 100 plus years ,really cool if not a little spooky .thanks for putting up the history of those lures Mate ,I recon you should frame some of those lures with pictures of the respective buildings as backgrounds
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic