LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Is this Fishing Lure authentic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The quandary .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The quandary .
    Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:29pm
Picked up this lure today from an 80 yr old gentleman and it came with a story . The old fella was tied up with ANSA for many years and knows plenty of the ' old heads ' of the NQ fishing fraternity . Now , he knew Eric Moller personally , and when hearing that Eric was going to give the lure-making away , he sent down a piece of timber ( which came from an old door of some sort ) with young Westy ( as he referred to him ) , for Eric to knock him up a couple of bigger than normal nudes . Westy handed back the two completed lures some time later , one of which was subsequently lost , and I now own this one . 
All good so far .
Now , I had to get an X-Ray done today and asked the lady there if we could have a quick gander at the internals to which she kindly agreed .
We gathered around and ( insert drumroll ) ........................Twisted Wires Shocked

Don't know what to make of it Confused .
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:38pm
And on another note , I got this pair from the same elderly gentleman abd it looks like he might have taken to the chin minnow with some old enamel paint . Hmmmmmm to try and clean it ......... or leave it be ???
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:59pm
Mick, that enamel could be a challenge. looks like a clear coat under the enamel, which might be a saving grace if it is acrylic. If it is then a gentle application of turps on a cotton bud might remove the enamel. I'd be testing the clear with turps first, probably down under the tail. If only the dirt comes off then I'd be more confident on attacking the mission brown.

As for the XL Moller, maybe Eric used a twist for that lure as he may not have had a split pin big enough?????? Barry???

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm
The bottom 2 look like old mollers....not so sure about the top one. Disregarding the wires...the shape does not look right for Eric's work.
cheers steiny
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Mick, that enamel could be a challenge. looks like a clear coat under the enamel, which might be a saving grace if it is acrylic. If it is then a gentle application of turps on a cotton bud might remove the enamel. I'd be testing the clear with turps first, probably down under the tail. If only the dirt comes off then I'd be more confident on attacking the mission brown.

As for the XL Moller, maybe Eric used a twist for that lure as he may not have had a split pin big enough?????? Barry???

Brad
Thanks Brad , I think I'll have a crack ai it as it does look to be clear-coated , the tow eye is blocked with clear too , it may never have been swum  .
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by steiny steiny wrote:

The bottom 2 look like old mollers....not so sure about the top one. Disregarding the wires...the shape does not look right for Eric's work.
The eye is not quite right either Darren , wondering if it might be one of Westy's actually .
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:36pm
Bit hard to tall Mick with the top one.I do have a couple of long Mollers however they are a different shape on the sides and the wire is thicker on mine.What is the bib made of?
The other 2 look like Eric's however a closer inspection is required for positive determination of heritage.
The Journey is the Reward

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:44pm
Cheers Barry , the bib is gal mate .
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 8:22am
does the bib have the tiny nick out of it from the press?
One thing ive noticed from pics of mollers is he seems to place the front hook hanger close to centre of lure/just forward....this top one is in scale if you look at the bottom one....i know nothing about them its just something ive noticed....as a rule id place it more forward.... but the pics ive seen are all like above.
If that makes sense.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic