LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Deception Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The race for lace.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The race for lace.
    Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 2:38pm
With Paul's return to spraying a circle lace variant of yesteryear on the new 2015 Series 2 Yabby collector sets, it got me thinking the other day - when was the pattern first used, and what models did it cover as time went by? His style has become very popular with other luremakers (myself included) and there has been a sudden influx to start spraying his old pattern again.

My guess is it was first used on the Series 1 Yabby, and I'm hoping Rob has a nice shot of one to back my theory up. I have seen variants of it on the Series 2 Yabby, the early through wire Cherax and also the Whitmore Shrimp. It then popped up on the twisted wire Shrimp, Cherax and Scampi, before making a comeback on the later model Shrimp (Skeleton Shrimp), screw eye Cherax and Scampi.

I am yet to see it on a Cutlet Bone Shrimp or Cutlet Bone Scampi. Nor have I seen it on a Palaemon, Nipper, Basswood, Galaxia, Sardinops, Jew, Cherrabin or Redclaw. If anyone has a variant of the circle lace sprayed on any of these models and you're willing to post a photo it would be much appreciated.

I'll find my oldest model tonight when I get home (I think it will be a Whitmore Shrimp) plus any variants of the lace as I reckon there were at least 3 or 4.

Cheers,

Danny.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm
OK. I have found three different patterns that fall into the timeless oval/circle pattern that Paul used to spray. I think they are the best patterns ever sprayed onto a lure, hands down.

First up is this great old 11mm Whitmore Shrimp in what I'm going to take a punt at and say is one of Paul's first lace variants in this style. I have seen it (or a near identical version) on Series 2 Yabbies a fair bit and maybe even a Series 1 from memory. It is also my favourite pattern. Stinger posted a Series 2 Yabby (see post "what the devil?" under Deception Lures) in a pattern that looks nearly identical to the one above. His Yabby is also a beautiful example of the darkened rings around the inside perimeter of the lace holes that Paul started spraying all those years ago.

Second is a CX50 screw eye Cherax, showing what I think is the rarest of the three patterns. I have only seen this lace twice, both on CX50 Cherax models. If anyone else has a Deception in this lace pattern I'd be really keen to see it.

Last is a later model Skeleton Shrimp, in what I think is the most common pattern of the three depicted here. This is also a special Skeleton Shrimp as the frame is stainless steel instead of the much more common Zincalume Skeleton frame. This pattern was seen across numerous Shrimp, Cherax and Scampi models over a decent period of time during Paul's lure making years.

Just awesome

Hopefully Paul or Rob could confirm my theories above are solid, or point out to us all if/where I've gone wrong.

Cheers,

Danny.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:23pm
Danny , they are absolutely stunning - just need to dig into the Collection and see what I can find.

I think there are earlier versions of this lace than the Whitmore Shrimp, let me look LOL

Btw, very nice pics Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:33pm
Stunning paintworkThumbs Up
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 10:45pm
Thanks Rob,

Yep I think there are earlier lures sporting the first variant too. However the Whitmore is the earliest lure I own with that pattern at the moment.

Cheers,

Danny.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:27am
Danny, here are 3 very early Yabby's painted in the style you are looking for Thumbs Up

1992 Yabby - Series 1 angled/angled variant.

1993 Yabby - First shape after Series 1 but before Series 2

1993 Yabby - Another between Series development with scooped bib.

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:56pm
jeez Paul does a nice paintjob ,thanks for posting these fellas
that's no how ye make porridge!
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:57pm
I was there and can't remember much about it ConfusedConfused I am not sure about the origins of the Lace painting but I think the earliest Aussie stuff I can remember would be around the mid to late 80's in some of Steve Kovacs Custom Crafted stuff. Of the imported stuff I reckon the Heddon Tadpolly would be the earliest examples of sprayed through lace that I remember?
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:03pm
Wonder why I love collecting Deceptions .... some more Yabby's between Version 1 and 2 in the defined lace pattern - masterpieces from circa 1993 with the last 2 about to morph into Series 2 Yabby's but not quite there yet Smile

Bit of bark missing, but who cares LOL

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:13pm
Paul, just looking at the last 2 Yabby's above .... would these have been some of your earlier attempts at painting eyes following the pins Question

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 2:21pm
Ha Ha! Yep I reckon they would be, steep learning curve getting the eyes right ( at least it was for me ) main problem was using too thinned paint in the early days.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 8:23pm
Beautiful things.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 10:29pm
Rob thanks for posting those great old lures and Paul thankyou for your input.

Surely there's some more out there amongst LL members? If not I might need to get my fix by spraying up some new ones

Cheers,

Danny.
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 12:30am
Mmmm .... a common lure but rare in this pattern - the shallow bibbed Nipper Thumbs Up

Have seen very few Nippers in this pattern ....

Cheers 

Rob

Tonk Lures
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:45pm
I like these yabbys
Cheers rod
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:08am
Cool lace pattern and iconic for sure!
cheers steiny
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:48am
You and me both Stinger.
Echo Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic