LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those Bibs I have mentioned previously

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those Bibs I have mentioned previously
    Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 2:42pm
Fellas I went a little further with those bibs we saw from Finland. I made up some smaller ones to suit some lures I had underway.

Some photos to follow, from another computer so please be patient.

The bronze lure has a standard bib and dives deep and always has the downward 'attitude' even when at a slow retrieve.

The next shows the new bib in the same body style. Both are towing from the bib but the new one goes to half a metre or more and swims level with a wide tail swing. Exactly what I am looking for, a slow cruising bait fish.

The change in style caused me to do another test to see just where this action was coming from. So the next pic should be a piece of dowel, rigged up and wearing the same bib. The result was the same swimming style.

Not quite so pronounced, but 90 percent of the previous one level and nice tail swing.

Think I will be using these in a lot of lures in the future. If anyone would like pics of the 'bib jig' then let me know.

Gordon

dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm
Glad you got them swimming the way you wanted, I'm looking forward to seeing them and I'd love to see the bib jig too if it's not too much trouble.
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 5:15pm
Share EVERYTHING !!!!  please Tongue
I like pretty painted sticks
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 5:44pm
Would be interesting to see thanks Gordon
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:05pm
Love ipad, hate some computers.
These photos should be self explanatory fellas.  I will have a look at the jig photos tomorrow.

Gordon
dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:13pm
Cheers! Interesting bib that's for sure.
Is that omega going horizontal on the moulded bib?
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:24pm
Dish I think I know what you mean. The omegas, some I have bought and some are s steel wire I have formed myself. All are loose enough to tow horizontal.

I do all my testing in the pool with the rod at a low angle to imitate a long cast.

The bib connection is probably the weak point so I intend to pin all of these with s steel wire when I set them in.

Gordon
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:56pm
They look good Gordon, might try something like that myself.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:01pm
Just a few more photos showing the bib Jig and the construction.

Aluminium shape for the polycarb to press into, plus the before and after.  

I am playing with adjusting the basic angle of the shape.  The first attempt (90%) and when I altered this to (95%) it took the lure down to nearly a metre, so more to play with there.

Gordon
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:09pm
Thanks for that Gordon, I reckon there are going to be some interesting bib shapes coming out now.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
guapote View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guapote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 8:49pm
Love it! Are you heating the lexan to bend it?
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 9:24pm
Yes using a heat gun here. Heat it until it is very soft. Best to try a small test piece first.

I expected to fry the edges as you would on acrylic but it hasn't happened so far.

Gordon
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 11:15pm
got a lure given to me by a mate whos dad went to nt a lot in 70 he made  his own  lures for barra  with    the plastic bib  it is the same idea on his lures   will catch up with him one day and see how they went brendan t
brendan t
guapote View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guapote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 5:46am
Very clever seems like a great way to make jitterbug style lips!
JoeAus View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 2:03am
hair straightening iron great for heating and bending bibs
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 7:16am
that's a good idea
that's no how ye make porridge!
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 8:26am
Here is a tip when tring to shape PC bibs with heat.  Place them in an oven (fan forced is best) set to above 80 to 110 deg C for 1.5 to 2.5 hrs per 1mm thickness to remove moisture from inside the plastic if you have ever heated PC and had tiny bubbles appear on the surface "there's ur problem" be advised that with in 3 hours of cooling moisture levels in the outer surface will be high enough to cause a problem again
in non fan forced oven place the bibs on the second shelf and place al foil to shield it from radiant heat from the element. 
 This will let you heat form to 180+ deg C PC to a point where there is no spring back when forming. 
The protective film is designed to prevent PC from absorbing moisture so when cutting bibs for heat bending from a sheet keep at least 15mm from the edge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic