LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Is this Fishing Lure authentic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Through the x-ray and........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Through the x-ray and........
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:42pm
Some members may be interested to know that I took this lure down to the airport today and the friendly staff ran it through the x-ray for me . They stopped it half way through and we all had a good look and ......... it had straight wires like a split pin , no twists what-so-ever .  
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:03pm
That's the way Eric liked to do it Mick.
The Journey is the Reward

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:04pm
She looks a beauty Mick!
cheers steiny
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:08pm
TONY!!!!!! Can we have the Cranky ones xray post made a sticky, I keep on losing where it is Confused
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:31pm
Cheers guys , I posted it up because there is some conjecture as to whether Eric Moller ever used stainless wires .
Padgey View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
Power Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padgey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 2:32am
Originally posted by micknq micknq wrote:

Some members may be interested to know that I took this lure down to the airport today and the friendly staff ran it through the x-ray for me . They stopped it half way through and we all had a good look and ......... it had straight wires like a split pin , no twists what-so-ever .  
same with the darts that I`m fixing for Debbie(handbrake)
HANDCARVED and HANDMADE TIMBER LURES
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 10:44am
For what it's worth, Bruce Moller told me his pop never used stainless wire for eyelets. I questioned him on this, when I showed him a lure I thought may have been a Moller. He was adament about this, thereby proving the one I showed him to be a copy. He always used gal wire and zinc annealed bib material in all his lures, according to Bruce, who helped him construct as a teenager. Cranky may have more to say on this, to save future confusion when people bid on Mollers.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 4:51pm
but what if someone asked Eric to make some special lures for them with the stainless in them Tony?,i am no expert but that looks real to me ,Eric had a certain way of painting those red eyebrows that most guys just cant replicate.

Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:00pm
I purchased four Moller lures from a servo in Cardwell when I was 17 this lure was the last moller I had but I think all the mollers that I purched on that day had stainless wire as hook hangers.

Lionel
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:21pm
don't want to be rude, but the years are catching up on us all
and information on people that helped a lure maker or a mate of a lure maker well,,,,

they do not see everything that is done, are not there every day, and as i have found some makers may
just run out of something and get anything just to get by

make a new shape push out twenty or so and are not happy so go back to what they were carving,
as the lures they made were for fishing

just if we all were there to ask him himself, but we can't,,, anything else is second hand info

regards George

GREAT LURES LADS
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:27am
How do you tell stainless from galv wire.
goldtrev
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 11:38am
You might like to check out this thread from a few years ago Mick, Lots of xray pics including Mollers handy to check out and use as a comparison thanks to the incredible Captain Cranky
http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/rare-aussie-lures-expos-what-lies-beneath_topic954.html

Originally posted by goldtrev goldtrev wrote:

Stainless is shiny and smooth and the galv has a flat/textured look to it Barry

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 12:55pm

I worked on a Plant that made Special Steels, so can tell you with confidence;
All 300 & 600 grades Stainless Steel are NON-MAGNETIC!!!
400 grades SS are  Magnetic, used mostly for Pump Shafts etc. & are not suitable for wire (special welding wire is an exception).
So the first indication, Galvanised Wire will be VERY MAGNETIC, Stainless Steel WILL NOT!
A Magnet swinging on a short length of string, will indicate Magnetic Metals.
Scrap Metal Dealers use this method.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:15pm
Thank you Tony and Mal.  Some times I feel that I must have missed something but I am gradually getting up to speed thanks to the help I get from LureLovers.   I have a very inquisitive nature and would rather be thought a bit dumb than not find the answer.

I had a good look at old lures and new lures but as soon as I read your replies it now makes sense.

Thank you again.

Regards

Barry 
goldtrev
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 8:40pm
No such thing as a dumb question Barry - I couldn't have told you myself up until I was about 35, broke, and getting back into mucking around with an old boat I had picked up for a bargain - I spent a fair amount of time fossiling through an awesome recycling centre up Gosford way looking for shiny things Big smile

I forgot about the magnet test Mal, I can tell you that a s/s BBQ I bought from Bunnings a few years ago failed it dismally!  (although the rust after it got wet was a bit of a giveaway)

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

You might like to check out this thread from a few years ago Mick, Lots of xray pics including Mollers handy to check out and use as a comparison thanks to the incredible Captain Cranky
http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/rare-aussie-lures-expos-what-lies-beneath_topic954.html

Stainless is shiny and smooth and the galv has a flat/textured look to it Barry

That's a beaut thread Tony , I remember getting none correct when I first checked it out LOL .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic