LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Through Wiring Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Through Wiring Lures
    Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 5:51pm
For those that are interested in through wiring lure's...I did this for another forum but just incase it may be of interest to someone on here Wink

Here's a "How to" on how I wire my poppers... ( I apologise in advance, I am not a hand model )

I think we all have some lures that could get another lease on life if we had them re-wired. This is only how I do it, there will be other ways or different techniques...Feel free to add on to the thread if you have some tips.

First up is the tools involved, most will have something lying around or a mate to pinch them off...

- Vice Grips
- Circlip Pliers ( Internal ) 
- 1.6mm 316 SS Wire
- Grommets
- Weights

First steps are to form a tow point eye in the wire....

About 50mm down the wire, grab with the narrow end of the pliers and bend to 45 degrees.

Re-grip further up on the pliers.

Use your thumb and bend the wire over, you will need to re-position the pliers through the bend.

Now grab the tag end with the Vice Grips, use the eye formed to put the round pliers into.

Start wrapping, keeping things snug and tidy.

Trim up the end and your done... 3 wraps is plenty, anymore your wasting time and wire. 

Now you have a solid connection you can wire up the popper body... 

Grab some poppers, you may have to twist / cut the old wire form your popper you want to re-wire...These are fresh off the dryer.

Thread the wire in with the grommet, this is also where you would replace swivels etc... Make sure the wire passes through the swivel eye  ;) I line up the tow point eye to where I like it ( horizontal ) If you want to run single hooks remember to bend the wire on the tail horizontal aswell. 

Next up, add the weight or however your lure goes together and grab right down tight with the pliers ( narrow end ) 

Again, use your thumb and bend to 45 degrees.

Re-position the pliers further up to form the eye of the wrap.

Push the wire over with your thumb.

Re-position the pliers and follow through with the bend.

Grab the tag end with the Vise Grips, and start the wraps keeping the wire tight and tidy.

Keep wrapping, the wire will soon become tight.

Before going any further, check to see how your eye lines up, make any adjustment before the next step.

Squeeze the wrap, you will feel the last wrap "pop" under the others. This will pull the wire tight, sometimes you may be able to make another wrap and squeeze again. Be careful you could split the body going to tight  Shocked

You could snip off the tag now and you would be done. The secret is to keep the wrap as short as possible to limit any leverage.

I personally double back up my wrap because I like the look and its a bit "beefier"

All done, go fishing  Wink

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:09pm
Thanks Sam, very concise, great step by step piccies and instructions.ClapClapClap. Cheers Richard.
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:24pm
 Sam , you are a very clever man.Smile
Anthony.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 9:11pm
Great work, and neat finish
regards John
Smegol View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smegol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:20pm
Sweet Sam. where do you get your grommets. I have been using SS Rivets but it means I cant recess the front wrap.
Cheers
Mike
Oh, so many shiney things!!!
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:32pm
those lures look sensational
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:43pm
missed this post......thanks sam good insight
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic