LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > What's your flavour?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timber Stumpy Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timber Stumpy Restoration
    Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:50am
A little while ago I was contacted by a LL member asking me if I would restore a timber Stumpjumper for him. To be honest, I had my reservations, I even suggested a southern lure maker would be better suited to restoring a Stumpy as I am a North Queenslander and know very little about southern lures. It took some convincing before I would commit to the project but I did agree and decided to show the stages of the restoration for all to see. There will be some purists out there that may not like what I have done, but guys, I was asked to do it and hope to make the owner happy. When the lure turned up, I was even more unsure, what had I got myself into?
This is the Stumpy when it arrived.

As can be seen, the gal wires were rusted, badly rusted, the bib was loose and it appeared the lure had been under water for some time, the timber was dry rotted and decaying.

STAGE ONE.
Remove all remaining paint, remove decaying wood and extract the rusted eyelets. I had to drill some small holes around the eyelets and soak acetone in & around the wires overnight before I could get them out. I then inserted some large stainless wire into the existing eyelet holes and soaked what was left of the timber in some timber sealer to stop any more breakdown and strengthen the remaining timber.

STAGE TWO.
I began to build the lure body back up with epoxy.

After the first coat of epoxy had dried, it was sanded back and a second coat applied to bring it back close to its original shape/size and sanded back again.

STAGE THREE.
New galvanised wire eyelets and the original bib, after cleaning, glued into place. Two more coats of sealer then a light rub back ready for undercoat.

STAGE FOUR.
Dipped in primer filler undercoat 3 times before a light sand to smooth off any irregularities, then 2 more dip coats before wet & dry sanding ready for painting.

This is where I am up to now. I will update with each new step as it progresses.

I do not intend to do an original Stumpjumper paint scheme and it will be written under the clearcoat, under the bib that it has been restored & repainted to prevent any confusion down the track.
I don't know what colours I am going to use, any suggestions????
Cheers,

Gavin
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:52am
Awesome effort so far Gav....Black and yellow mate all the way!
cheers steiny
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:54am
Sweet gav ..did it lose some meat of its chin . Good to see finished ...cheers aaron
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:04pm
Aaron,
Not sure mate, I traced some lines around it before I started and tried to build it back to the same lines and I think under the chin was still pretty good.

Steiny, I am thinking a nice NQ Barra colour, white body, pink/gold/green and silver scales....
Cheers,

Gavin
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:06pm
A post to follow. I reckon for something different a mangrove jack patternThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:15pm
Great work Gav it also shows how well the lure was originally made looking forward to seeing the finished lure
Cheers Graeme
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 12:15pm
Very cool
dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 1:49pm
Nice work.Thanks for the pics very interesting to see this Stumpie coming back to life.
gdm
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:36pm
Gav the barra colors you mentioned will do it justice.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:44pm
Gavin, terrific job, you've done the original proud. Just an aside, could you tell what timber was used?
I've recently acquired an original, but the timber I can see through a small patch of paintloss, doesn't look like red cedar, however, this is what the originals were supposed to be carved from. Any ideas? Can see from your pics the state of the rot, great restoration.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:04pm
I have vague memories of reading that at one stage John Ellis used poplar wood from the failed matchstick plantation at Cobram. May explain the extensive rotting.

Cheers, Jim
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:29pm
Thanks everyone, glad to hear people think I am on track.

Tony, the timber certainly is not Red Cedar, hard to tell for sure but I think it is as Jim says, Poplar.
Cheers,

Gavin
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 3:34pm
Well done GavinClapClap. I`ve seen this lure up close and would have given little hope for it!!! Timber is very light weight and very well rotted. Top job again from the restoration master!! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 4:29pm
gavin, you started this resto, don't let anyone influence you, do it the way you want to, that way your happy with it. don't worry about what anyone else wants done to it. repair job looks good......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by murraycod murraycod wrote:

I have vague memories of reading that at one stage John Ellis used poplar wood from the failed matchstick plantation at Cobram. May explain the extensive rotting.

Cheers, Jim

Yes Jim, I have been told this as well - poplar from the plantation.
Martin-

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:31pm
Coming along nicely Gav,well done.
The Journey is the Reward

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Well done GavinClapClap. I`ve seen this lure up close and would have given little hope for it!!! Timber is very light weight and very well rotted. Top job again from the restoration master!! Cheers Richard.

I see what you did there Mr Lee ^^^^^
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 11:59pm
Gavin Brilliant Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Craig At View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig At Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:59am
Love restos can't wait to see this one finished great job so far
Craig Atta-Singh
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:35pm

STAGE FIVE.

Paint on. I decided to stick with the original colour scheme I had chosen when I first saw the lure. I think it turned out pretty well.

Now for the fiddly bits, printing under the bib & dotting on the eyes. "Muck up the eyes, muck up the lure", no pressure......
Cheers,

Gavin
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 2:12pm
looks great gavin....better than new.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 3:43pm
Soft pastels Gavin..........nice mate!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:26pm
Good colours Gavin Thumbs Up
Martin-

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:38pm
Stunning paint mate
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 6:32pm
Beautiful work.
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:45pm
STAGE SIX.
Dotted the eyes on, no problems, happy with how they turned out.

Printing under the bib, not as neat as I had hoped for but it's done now. A light coat of clear over the sharpie ink stops the ink running when the main clear coat goes on.
Cheers,

Gavin
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:54pm
Beautiful work Gavin....

Lionel
cornboy888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:01pm
great job mate.  always hard to restore a old lure{some people like it some people don`t}
I reckon you`ve done everything possible to make sure that this lure can never be confused as a mint "stumpy" in the future.  That is very responsible of you.
 well done
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:03pm
Very nice
Cheers Steve
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:06pm
Really great job Gavin love the colors and the workmanship. Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:25pm
Top shelf resto Gavin. Very tastefully done. You have made this old lure like new again.

I wonder whether this stumpy will end up 'in the cabinet' or 'in the water'?
cheers steiny
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:35pm
Fantastic job Gavin. I am sure the proud owner will be over the moon.

Now seriously, would anyone be crazy enough to swim such a work of art.

Cheers, Jim
ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:01pm
Stunning restoration!  You've brought that Stumpjumper back from the dead.  Very well done.
Lefty View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lefty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:02pm
I have a bashed up stumpy, I would love to get a cod on and then hybrid. cool paintjob
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:17pm
Excellent work and post.  Thanks.
the fish aren't art critics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic