Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for working with images

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for working with images
    Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 2:13pm
There are several things that you can do to enhance the quality of images so that the pictures you post on the forum are shown to their best effect.

As usefull posts and tutorials covering this subject (including helpfull posts by members) become available on this forum they will be added to this list to make it easier to find the information you need to improve your images.

The main things you can consider are:

Get the best photo you can to start with 
Enhancing the quality of your photos is a huge subject and there are many forums dedicated to this on the internet. With Digital cameras being relatively cheap and providing ample resolution for images to post on the WWW if you haven't allready got one I'd highly recommend it.

Lighting plays a huge part in the quality of a photo. Natural light is usually best, although not always achievable.

Here's a usefull trick you can use to improve the shot if use of the camera flash is required:
Set the camera to macro mode (if it has it), then move back from the subject a little (normally a lure in our case!) and use the zoom on the camera to fill as much of the frame with the subject as possible.

(preferably only use the mechanical zoom which is usually 3X for this, using digital zoom can reduce the quality of the image)

This can help reduce flashback in the image significantly, have a play with it and try different zoom levels and distances until you find what works best for you.

Crop the image so that the subject matter fills the image and not unecessary background
Apart from improving the quality of the original photo itself this is probably the single most important thing you can do to improve your images to best effect.

Here's an example of an image that would look much better if cropped:
(probably not the best ever example or photo, but purely intended to show the basic concept of how cropping can improve the level of detail in a picture - my photograophy skills are limited at best!)

And here's the same image after it's been cropped:
(note that the level of detail is much greater - it's a good idea to crop an image before you resize it as it will end up with a better result)

I'm sure that we have members here with far better photographic skills than myself, and I hope they will be so kind as to share some tips with us - I certainly have plenty of room for improvement!

Edited by Tony - 24 Nov 2009 at 2:48pm
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:28pm
THE HERVEY BAY panther hayLOLLOL
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:31pm
I torght I taw a puty tat,,Gary
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:04pm
did the cat fall out of the tree........mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 6:53pm
tree fell on the cat
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 7:21pm
well i suppose that is a positive thing....mick
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:19pm
Never photographed a pussy before but I'm with Tony on this, as I have always said a good picture is better than a good lure.
For your lure pictures get a good matte white background (I use PVC plastic sheet) or a "Light tent" (FleaBay), then go to your local electrical supplier and get a couple of 'daylight globes' (5000 -6000 lux or Lumens, not sure, ) then stick them in a bed lamp or reading lamp or something with a flexible head so you can get the globes as close as possible to your subject--With these bulbs you will not need a flash and your colours will come out a lot closer to what you are seeing--but still not perfect---I use 'Photoscape' editor, it's a free download, and even I can figure it out, it has all the enhancers you will ever need to get your pictures looking as good as the lure in your hand.
If you can afford it, try and get a remote shutter (fleaBay from Hongkong for about $15) and a tripod too, because without these the closer you ZOOM the more you shake the more the picture will be blurred    ----especially when takeing pictures of 'cats'  Wink Wink.
Pete
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:41pm
OhYeahLaff64Devil
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Never photographed a pussy before but I'm with Tony on this, as I have always said a good picture is better than a good lure.
For your lure pictures get a good matte white background (I use PVC plastic sheet) or a "Light tent" (FleaBay), then go to your local electrical supplier and get a couple of 'daylight globes' (5000 -6000 lux or Lumens, not sure, ) then stick them in a bed lamp or reading lamp or something with a flexible head so you can get the globes as close as possible to your subject--With these bulbs you will not need a flash and your colours will come out a lot closer to what you are seeing--but still not perfect---I use 'Photoscape' editor, it's a free download, and even I can figure it out, it has all the enhancers you will ever need to get your pictures looking as good as the lure in your hand.

If you can afford it, try and get a remote shutter (fleaBay from Hongkong for about $15) and a tripod too, because without these the closer you ZOOM the more you shake the more the picture will be blurred    ----especially when takeing pictures of 'cats'  Wink Wink.

Pete

Thanks for that info , very helpfull for me .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic