LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toga flies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toga flies
    Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 4:47pm
I was lucky enough to team up with local Sunny Coast fly fisher Kim Strathern a few of weeks ago and compete in the annual Variety Childrens Toga on Fly competition up at Borumba so thought I'd share my version of Kim's go to Toga fly. The Bunny fly is basically a short black zonker tail ,the hide just shorter than the gape,and a body of dubbed black rabbit fur. It doesn't matter if zonker or crosscut is used for the body but I have used zonker cut off the hide. Kim just progressively dubs to the thread then winds on a bit repeating the process then dubs a small amount of red as a collar. He uses a #2 Gama B10S hook. He does tie one with bead chain I think when using a floater line for sight fished cruisers but mostly use an unweighted version fished off an intermediate line. The fishing was very hard for the w/end with only 20 fish landed between 42 competitors over 1 1/2 days with one competitor catching 5 of those fish (onya Dazz). During our forced 2 hour lunch break on Sat. one competitor broke out his tying gear and set up on a tree where Kim showed him how to tie this fly. I've also posted a pic of my version of the Venison fly another go to fly up at Borumba but usually tied in Black.Red or even Orange but I tied it in purple to use on bass as well. Pics from the w/end and the flies. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 5:14pm
Fool to the bream
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:44am
Interesting post Pat ,nice full bodies.
Does  the line on the purple fly , help keep the body shape of the fly.
Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 12:50pm
your a good man Pat i'm off chasing togas in a couple of weeks and was looking for some new patternsThumbs Up
Andy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 3:30pm
The idea of the nylon loop is to stop the zonker tail from fouling in the hook gape during casting. Love the two flies shown, the purple one is very similar to a pattern used by a few local guys on the Hinze Dam togas on the Gold Coast. Loosley spun deerhair head with beadchain eyes. ( If it's too tighly packed like for a Dahlberg it floats) and a zonker body / tail. They look awesome in the water.
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:27pm
Cheers Guys. Your right Andy the mono loop is an anti fouling addition but it does reduce slightly the pulsing action of the fly. The top fly doesn't require one as the hide length is just less than the hook gape so it doesn't wrap around the bend. That fly is unweighted size #2 and find I can even cast it on my #2 weight so it still has a bit of bulk without alot of weight. However I wouldn't try throwing one on the #2 at Borumba - end in tears I reckon. Another version of the deerhair Venison fly is one with a head spun out of Tiewell Mega hair which also has a slow sink (bead chain eyes also) and either a zonker,marabou or mega hair tail - this fly is Andy V's Toga Destroyer. Cheers Pat
Fool to the bream
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
Pat i was just wondering how these wooly buggers i made would go on the toga?,i was going to make some bunny flies but a damn crow stole my zonker strips that were hanging on the line after i'd dyed them blackLOL
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 6:55pm
"a damn crow stole my zonker strips that were hanging on the line after i'd dyed them black"
Laff
That's Vaaaaarkin funny Chris. We have crows nesting in the leopard tree out back and for a while there they were collecting anything they could use to build the nest....
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:10pm
ha ha......bloody crows...luv it.
make sure a few extra are tied up for me chrisSmile
And bring some zonka too.Wink
those flies look great, should go ok i hope.

great flies pat, you boys look like you had fun.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 10:10pm
They look great Chris - tie some in Olive as well but many a toga master will tell you "any colour is good as long as it is black" funnily though Gav Platz's favourite colour for the Venison fly is Orange so go fugure (sic)Wink Alot of guys only fish intermediates but best to have a floater and an inter set up -inter for blind casting floater for sight casting and the tops of the weed beds. Get your eye in real early to see as far ahead as possible as we spooked fish so many times less than a boat length away and lost many oppurtunities. Don't get too fixated on fishing the lily pads either as we saw heaps of fish out in the open (after spooking them) and pay attention to submerged hills (ask Jas where ). I'd love to join you up there but have already two other invites to bass fish with - one a newby to fly fishing so will be doing that. The crows nicking your zonkers cracked me upAngry time to design a crow feather fly I reckon. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:18am
aw you blokes its not funnyWink.as it happens i may have a little bit of olive green zonker strip Pat so theres a start.i'll also make some venison fly's ive plenty of deerhair . I'm taking a 9wt with a clear intermediate line and a 7wt with floating these would handle the togas ok?.thanks for your advice mateThumbs Up
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 4:49pm
That should be ideal Chris although some guys opted to fish #10 weights at the comp.61after stories of whippings. The biggest fish of the week end went to Jeff Christofell who caught an 80 cm fish from his wheelchair lucky it was strapped in. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 12:27pm
thats a good fish.ive got a 12wt Pat but i think i'll leave it at homeLOL thanks for your advice. oh one more question ,what size hook do you tie the venison flys on?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic