LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toothy critters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toothy critters
    Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 7:43pm
You guy's obviously fish for some big narly species, so need tough lures. I build a lot of pike lures,sharp teeth. Noticed though that your pretty much using same processes and epoxies. I use mainly cedar (soft)and light meranti (tougher ). Sealed with epoxy followed by multiple epoxy top coats. My question is - are you guy's selecting denser timber for extra durability? If so, is this 1 of the reasons dictating distinctive designs of some of your bigger lures ? Thanks.........glider
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 11:50pm
thats a good question Glider,not many of us use epoxies but definately tougher timbers are best for fish like our spanish mackerel ,Giant Trevally ,wahoo and barracuda.I like denser timbers like silky oak,white beech or brown beech for these guys but they are still going to get torn up eventually,if i was making lures for the biggest version of  these species i'd be putting a tough full length wire through the body too because most fisho's i know will forgive a chewed up lure but not a lost fish!
that's no how ye make porridge!
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 3:00am
Thanks reply puglee, incidently i came across 1 of your miniature sculptures a while back and wanted to show a buddy but couldn't find again. Realise now your the creator, unique!,,, .I took it for granted you guy's using e-tex and the like. What are you guy's using then ? M.c.u ?, auto clears ? Thanks, ,glider.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 6:03am
Thats one of the reasons i wondered about large front surface area of some australian lures.i.e ,to get enough action out of denser timber like beech. ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic