LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travers Powell - 7cm Minnow Lure making guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travers Powell - 7cm Minnow Lure making guide
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:40pm
Travers Powell has kindly forwarded a copy of his recent lure making article to share with LureLovers members. Thanks Travers! Thumbs Up 

The article covers how to make your own 7cm minnow lure and is presented in three sections, each of which are contained in a seperate pdf document.

Part 1:
uploads/1/Lure_Making_-_7cm_Minnow__Preparing_the_lure_blank.pdf

Part 2:
uploads/1/Lure_Making_-_7cm_Minnow_Carving_the_lure.pdf

Part 3:
uploads/1/Lure_Making_-_7cm_Minnow_Painting_the_lure1.pdf

If you do not currently have it installed you may need to download Adobe Reader to view the pdf files containing the article.

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
FlippedOut View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlippedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:29am
Thanks Tony and Travers, been holding out for this! a great addition to the lure kit
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:07am
Tony and Travers

Thanks for posting
Some real valuable info there and will need to re visit.

A lot of little tips given to help the first time or occasional lure maker which is really appreciated.

Regards John
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:38pm
I originally wrote these lure making instructions to put on this site.  Then I thought that a fishing magazine may be interested, so I ran it past Boothy.  He was keen to put it in Fishing Monthly, but for whatever reason, it only appeared in the Qld edition.  Steve sent an email last week suggesting that the southern FM's probably weren't going to run it and that I could now post it on LL's.

So, for those budding lure makers from the southern States, I hope you get some useful information out of the 3 sets of instructions.

Cheers

Travers
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 6:09am
Travers- I bought a F.M when I was in Qld at Xmas and read your contribution, well done. I really enjoyed reading through it,  a must for us oldies and new makers alike.
Since I have been home have not been able to get the rest, so will have a bit or reading to do over the weekend.
This is something that has been severely neglected in this country, too many secrets for too long, stifles innovation and leads to 'sameness'.

Thanks Travers /Tony.
Pete-R
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:41pm
ive said this before but i'll say it again,i havent seen a luremaking article this good since Vic McCristal did his'' how to'' in his great fishing with lures book.good on you Travers and Tony!
lest_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lest_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 3:43pm
   Was a little a stuck with my luremaking.....now everything is as easy as as following the numbersThumbs UpThumbs Up.Thanks Travers and Tony..ClapClap
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 4:18pm
Travers .... awesome set of instructions Clap no excuses now Unhappy LOL
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 5:05pm
As always great stuff mate, it is truelly refreshing to see someone willing to share what he knows about luremakingClapClap, but I am still going to buy the third issue just to have itSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
FlippedOut View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlippedOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 3:39pm
ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:08pm
Southern FM made a big mistake in my mind. Travers what a great article! Considering having a go myself now, except sharp blades usually mean I end up bleeding.

Top effort. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Clap
Clap
Clap
Clap

Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by FlippedOut FlippedOut wrote:

QLD monthly posted the full feature too:

Very interesting.  I didn't know that it was possible to download articles from the magazine, complete with advertising.

The site won't allow files bigger than 100KB to be downloaded.  That's why I had to email the 3 articles to Tony and get him to put it on the site.

Well done, Kyle!Big smile

Cheers

Travers
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 8:22pm
Just a quick post to say thanks for all the kind words.  As many of you are aware, I was lucky enough to be mates with one of the most generous blokes on the planet.  Peter Newell helped so many people, in so many ways and, in particular, with lure making.  He helped me tremendously and I am only too happy to pass on what I can to anyone interested in making lures.

My phone number is on my lure cards and I'm always happy to have a chat.Big smile

Cheers

Travers
yakgear View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yakgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 1:00am
cheers great article...perfect for newbs like me
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:35am
I have made Travers's minnow from a kit a while back and it helped with a few issues I had in the process.  A great introduction to the art of luremaking for beginners and older hands alike.

I have to confess that his minnow was the inspiration for my Creek Minnow and Creek critters. I just modified the concept by going slightly wider in timber and if you look closely the FizzPop and Walker are the same body shape as the minnow, turned upside down and truncated for the FizzPop and truncated for the Walker.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

zenag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:00am
Travers,
I have just joined the Lurelovers site so am a real beginner. I would like to have a go at making my own lures, how do I purchase your Lure Making Kits?
thanks for any info and suggestions, zenag
zenag
Fosj View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fosj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:10pm
Thanks for the heads up great article, and really appreciate the sharing of information
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 1:16am
Thanks Powell

You have capture small details along with technical know how to make own lure.
Cheers great job
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 10:11am
Hi Travers
After undercoating when you test swim and tune the lure, do you fit hooks and eyes before you do this or do you swim them as they are?
Cheers Steve
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Steve B Steve B wrote:

Hi Travers
After undercoating when you test swim and tune the lure, do you fit hooks and eyes before you do this or do you swim them as they are?
Cheers Steve

Hi Steve

The lures are fully glued up and undercoated ready to paint, so the eyelets and bib are already glued in.  It's a good time to tank test them, because the next step is wet-n-dry sanding.

It's unrealistic to tank test every lure with hooks on, at the undercoat stage. Tank testing is simply there to make sure the lure is running straight and has the desired action.  It's not a process of testing a lure to see if it might catch fish, simply a tuning process.  Remember that the lures have been in production for years and have proven themselves as productive fish catchers.

Most lures are also tank tested after painting. Certainly, all of the lures with soldered tow wires are tested after painting and prior to fitting trebles.

In the early days, I used to take every lure (painted with trebles attached) down to the Tenterfield Creek to do the tuning.  It was a nightmare trying to dry them with the trebles on.

Hope that explains it.

Cheers

Travers
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 6:08pm
Really great info Travers. I have seing it severel times,  first starting the Lure making ClapClap 
I Tank test all my Lures with Hooks on when thy are fully done. I do not make many hundreds a time to sell, but Made a batch off 80 ones. Then i made these Hooks with no sharp points, that makes it easy to handle (no cratches to fingers and Lure) The rings are cut so thy are just to click on and of. Use a little Bamboo Flower stick with this snap lock i same way  just click on and off to tow the Lure in the test tank. Works well fore me, and maybe some one can use this Smile
Cheers Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 6:50pm
old les barlow tests all his lures in the local creek at stanthorpe and has been using the same set of trebles for years. the points are worn off but he has still caught fish on them while testing.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic