LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treble Hooks For COD lures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treble Hooks For COD lures.
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
What do L/L members believe are the best hooks to use on Cod lures ? I have been using VMC's and they seem fine so far but my best is 80cm. and 19lbs. using 30 and 50b braid. Is there any benefit in using Owner or Decoy hooks. I have noticed Owner make some super sharp Black Chemically sharpened but they are 2X wire. Not sure if they would be strong enough for that Metre long fish I want to catch. VMC's are reasonably priced. What hooks do our COD lure makers put on the lures they make for the Big Fellas or is a question of cost per lure? ConfusedConfusedConfused
Manny
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:46pm
Hi Manny, I`ve used VMCs on nearly all my lures, however many years ago I had complaints about larger ones ( 3/0& 4/0) straightening under pressure from BIG fish. Changed over to Mustads and all good. Still use VMCs in 4s, 2s 1s &1/0 without problems. Have no knowledge of Owner or Decoy sorry. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:54pm
Hi Manny.

I'm assuming you're using relatively large lures designed specifically for cod? Especially since you're running 30 and 50 pound braid? Most of the cod lures I make are relatively small, and size 6 trebles are the biggest I use. They are standard Owner and Shinto hooks, nothing extra heavy but good quality. I have had no dramas with hooks straightening out yet, however the strongest Loomis I regularly use is 4-8lb, so I fish very light. It landed a 104cm fish a few months ago. My mate landed one at 114cm the other night on a 4-8lb outfit as well.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:28pm
Thanks Richard and Danny. Big Lures and heavy lines. Just asking for the info from the guys that chase them on heavy tackle.Thumbs Up
Manny
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:11am
Manny, Dave Hinton @ Fishing Unlimited has some nice heavy wire chem sharp hooks in 1/0 Blk Nickel, not sure if he has the same type in larger sizes, might be worth a call.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 11:11am
Hi Manny, I am from up north I generally use 6X VMC's for the fish up here. I did manage to pick up some Owner ST66's a little while ago cheap (for Owners anyway). They are a sharper hook than the VMC's and have good strength as well. The only problem I have had with the Owners is because of their sharpness they love green mangroves. As soon as they touch them they are stuck !!!
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:06pm
manny....vmc are fine.... i like mustad/simple strong hooks reasonably priced.
As darby mentioned Tackle unlimited has good hooks....ive been using these for sometime and value for the dollar they are great and not cheap in quality.
David Hinton has sold tackle unlimited, but you should be able to contact new owner on same number for now.

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:07pm
Thanks Darby and Richard. I'll give him a call. Point noted ( pun intended) about the Owners.LOLLOLLOL
Manny
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 2:04pm
Motackle have advertised some bulk mustad trebles on special again recently.
Not sure how cheap they come up with post bit might be worth looking.
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 5:06pm
If you're worried about hook strength etc. I'd be looking at some big singles. Have had plenty of trebles bent from fish and/or snags but never a single (flies I might point out) - have started putting a few singles in 1/0 and 2/0 on lures to try but have't done any serious fishing with them as yet so can't comment on hookup ratio.

One thing I do feel a lot better about with singles is that there is only one hook point to watch out for, with a pair on a lure that's potentially 5 hook points with the fish hooked.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 6:35pm
Hi Manny, If you are looking for strong trebles, I use Mustard KAIJI 7x trebles, these trebles are design for big game like giant trevally, big dogtooth tuna and comes in 3/0, 4/0, 5/0, 6/0, 7/0 sizes.

Through my trade supplies, I might get a good price for you and just pm me.

Cheers,Thumbs Up
Dave
Life is fishing!
manny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 10:08pm
thanks for all your replies. Greatly appreciated. Thumbs Up
Manny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic