LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Twisted wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Twisted wire
    Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:04pm
Hello, just wondering what wire people choose for their hook eyes? Brand, lb rating etc for cod lures? Is it just the wire trace for tackle stores?Thanks
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:46pm
i used mig sticks stay away from the high tesile wire its brittle &breaks snaps etc the softer wire is the go hope this helpsBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileWinkregards bob
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 10:07pm
I use 0.9mm stainless steel tie wire, can't remember the brand shouldn't be too hard to find on evilbay or something like that I'm sure I saw 10m for $6-7 and I use a 1.6mm drill bit on the body so it fits nice and snug. Good luck, Poolie.
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 11:23pm
Scott a lot of luremakers just use galvanised wire and its fine for freshwater species like Cod,stainless single strand trace wire like Masons is good but you'd need a heavier one for Cod lures,Bunnings have a stainless tie wire which is cheap and good but its about 1.3mm so it'll never break,1mm tig wire as suggested by Bob is perfect
that's no how ye make porridge!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:50am
Scott

If you look in Forum Home  Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures  you will find a few posts on the same question.

I use 1.2mm stainless on most of my Cod lures and 1.6mm on the really large Cod lures. Either TIG or MIG wire, without the flux core.  The topic, below, will help you.  

http://www.lurelovers.com/Forum/stainless-steel-wire_topic19494.html

Cheers

Travers
goldtrev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 8:49am
Scott,  Bunnings sell 1.6mm stainless steel wire very cheaply but really to big for most lures but this is the only size they sell in stainless. Very hard to bend in smaller loops.

I have spent so much money on various wire (MIG etc) and thrown them away because they snap when you do any bend out of the ordinary and when used as twisted they seem to spring apart given half a chance.

Do yourself a favour and go on Ebay and buy some "Aircraft stainless steel lockwire'.  About $25 to 30 dollars plus $9 postage.  It is the best I have used.  It is flexible and can be bent in various methods to allow for thru wiring etc.
.032 = .08mm
.141 = 1.04mm

The 1.04 mm is what I bought and may be used for most big lures and will still be able to be used on the small lures.

I have spent hours reading posts about wire and find this brand excellent.   I only make a few lures for myself but want them to be as good as possible. 

regards

Barry

goldtrev
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 10:05am
I find 1.2 mm stainless MIG wire to be the best, easy to twist up, never work hardens, tough as nails.......

Personally I'd stay away from the aircraft lock wire, it's way to soft to use on lures targeting big or powerful fish, it's very easily deformed.....being involved in the aircraft maintenance industry for over twenty years I had an unlimited supply but never used it for those reasons.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
bkool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 2:50pm
HI,
I do not know if this will help but it might be worth looking at the prices are pretty good I think.

http://www.aaametalsuppliers.com.au/stainless_fitting/tie_wire.html

Bkool.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:55pm
Shane, I use .32" Aircraft Lock Wire on all my small lures (sub 70mm) and have never had a problem as many here can attest. Cod and acrobatic salties on Bass lures etc.

Scott, On Cod and Barra I use Mason Down Under trace wire, can get expensive from retailers, but reasonable online. It comes in a few sizes, but based on use, the 80lb is great size for 100-150mm lures.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Scotty ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 7:42pm
Thanks for all the replie! I saw the wire leader by Masons on the bcf website, think I'll go with that. Will keep the other in mind though.I appreciate everyone's help.
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:11pm
If anyone is interested I have just acquired a roll of stainless welding wire,and am willing to help anybody who would like some. It,s 1.2 mm.I will make up some rolls of about 10 metres in length and will have them at my site at the EXPO. I also have a lot of small glass bottles and lids, empty,(Mr Hobby paint)if anyone wants them . LOBBY.
DON
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:12pm
My offer of stainless 1.2 mm welding wire is still standing if any luremaker is interested. ( no charge).   LOBBY
DON
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 2:05am
Mig wire is in a tence state from how they make it. By a cold drawing process where they literally pull it through dies untill the desired size is reached This is good for mig welders as you can push it with much greater force and further through the mig gun lead. If you wish to soften mig wire because it is to hard to bend for your application then peal off about 10 to 15 feet or 3 to 4 meters nail 2 stakes at the same distance apart. Tie the wire between them about a foot or 300mm off the ground. Attach jumper cables on each end of the wire Now attach one cable to negitive post of a 12 volt car battery. So now hold the positive jumper cable in your other hand and dab it onto the Positive terminal in 1 to 2 second intervals the wire will change color from each end first a straw color then blue then a dull red this is hot enough keep dabing until the whole length has changed color wait a couple of minuites and untie it
The Dangers!!! If you hold the cables on to long, you will melt the wire and it will break and coil up one end or both in a very hot state  As batteries release or absorb electricity they produce hydrogen gas this can ignite from the sparks produced from dabing the positive terminal popping the top off your battery  
you can nullify this from happening by using a 3rd lead and maintenance free have even less risk I have done this countless times with no problems with out the 3rd but the risk is there I have seen a crane battery pop apart. It was a much more extreme case involving 12mm dia round bar and over 700 amps
the wire heating is only about 5 amps so a lot less gas is produced. Oh and wear safety glasses long lengths of wire always like to flick around.
A quick rub with 240,320 or 400 grit sand paper brings it up a treat 
LOBBY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOBBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:38pm
I have just acquired a reel of .9 stainless welding wire and have made some rolls of about 20 metres,also some 1.1 wire the same lengths. If anyone is interested in some I will take some to the expo ( no charge),come and see me on my site. Don .
DON
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 9:00am
i use masons soft feed stainless ,120lb for barra lures and 150lb for stickbaits and poppers ,easy to tie a nice tight twist and no probs handling a 10kg longtail on the 150lb and big bazzas on the 120lb ,,good price too at around 15 a spool
it a lot better world if you just smile
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:42pm
If you don't mind paying for good soft wire, "All Things Stainless" sells spools of it in many sizes- its "S/S aircraft locking wire'' from  U.S.

Then find the search box , search "locking wire''

Good sh-t, Quick delivery too.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic