LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > Vic Lures > JJs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urethane and ABS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urethane and ABS
    Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:21pm
I have some unpainted Stumpy blanks. 3 are pure white, and glued ( or sonic welded?? ) together with tow point and hangers. The other one is a different yellow material and not glued so you can pull it apart and see inside.

Can anyone tell me about the 2 materials and Lively Lures' involvement in the moulding?
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:30pm
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:00pm
cant tell you much Jim but lively lures Alan and Paul Dolan did a lot of moulding for other luremakers under contract back in the 80's and 90's and i think they even do some occasionally now.the material of the top lure appears to be polurethane a two part material which i believe(please forgive me if i'm wrong Allan!) was made by injecting the material by way of a mixing gun into a mold ,i heard they could make a hell of a lot of lures very fast this way(i do know more but cant say).
 The one below is injection moulded and is probably the way they are still made today,i do know from working in the industry that its possible to make thousands of these halves in one day and they are as you said usually sonic welded.I'm not sure about the polurethane ones though as Lively lures usually molded thier lures in one piece bibs eyelets and all,maybe they are sonic welded?,i'll see Allan in a couple of months and ask him for youSmile
that's no how ye make porridge!
Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 2:13pm
Pretty certain all lively lures are molded as one piece with the bib n eyelets place in the mold prior to injection of polyurethane.
L4
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Luc Luc wrote:

Pretty certain all lively lures are molded as one piece with the bib n eyelets place in the mold prior to injection of polyurethane.

Hi Luc, your spot on that's exactly how Allan does it at Lively.

Warren
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 4:20pm
Thanks Chris. Would be interested if you can find out. I thought the white one was the later one made in Vietnam. Being Stumpys these are set up for the removeable bibs
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:25pm
the top one has all the hallmarks of one of Allans bottom one could have been made anywhere they do injection moulding(same dies different machines / country).heres the sort of machines they use to make the halves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=597VXfz2_ME
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 2:58pm
sorry for the late reply mate,i talked to allan a while back and as Luc and Warren suggested the top one is molded from solid polyurethaneThumbs Up
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2019 at 11:01pm
Thanks Chris
justlooking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:08pm
Top lure was Australian made and you might find a few around the Border (NSW - Vic)
some of these were less than perfect and were suppose to be dumped, ever now and then a couple pop up, obviously they all didn't make it into land fill ! 
Not sure about the other ?
Go early - Stay late.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:45am
Yes these came from a bloke who worked at one of the local tips. There were a few of the white urethane from Lively, not sure what was wrong with them. The 2 part ABS had a small dent in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:43am
Those lures were not made by Allan, they were made in Victoria ?
Weight was wrong ! They didn’t float and were very hard to make water tight.
Go early - Stay late.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by justlooking justlooking wrote:

Those lures were not made by Allan, they were made in Victoria ?
Weight was wrong ! They didn’t float and were very hard to make water tight.
top one is urethane Brett,i asked Al about it and he confirmed that he did mold some of the stumpjumpers.The ABS one underneath isnt one of his,possibly made in VIC as you suggested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 11:27am
The lures I’ve seen made by Alan have a vertical tail end, not angling back at the bottom as in the pics above ?
Go early - Stay late.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 7:25am
i dunno mate you'd have to ask Alan maybe they were molded in urethane somewhere else too?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic