Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UV paints/colours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 3:34pm
Well what colour is seen is determined by the rods in our eyeballs. We have cylindrical rods which determine black and white (fully colour blindness in peoples with only cylindrical rods). Conical rods determine colour and different lengths of the conical rods  determine colour. So knowing what the length of the rods determines what colours are interpreted, a study of the conical rod lengths would reveal what colours that critter could see.

This is my understanding.

What colours flouro changes to in depths of water, I don't know.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:35pm
some very interesting points raised here and thanks guys for the mental stimulation.Thumbs Up 
that's no how ye make porridge!
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 12:14pm
hey there doc. cool stuff. sure, go ahead and PM if you want. always good to read up on stuff.
another thing that adds to the pot, they suggest that different fish see differently. that some fish don't see UV and some do. that some fish see UV in adolescence, then lose the ability in maturity. and even that some fish see UV while they are in freshwater, but lose the ability when they go to saltwater, yet they will gain the ability back when they return to freshwater.
that's where it gets crazy. one has to figure out if his species sees UV. then wonder if they have lost the ability, etc. when one reads all those scenarios, it makes one just want to say "F it" and just toss a lure or drag one behind the boat and let what happens happen.
but, when making a lure, it can be a factor to consider. my fav lure I made, I painted it to resemble a kokanee, which is the main baitfish in my lake, besides the salmon fry. and it's been my best producing lure also. but now finding out that the epoxy I used on it glows, not UV, but is phosphorescent, now I wonder if it's attraction is due to that, or my original paint scheme I did. it can drive one crazy. if I had hair i'd be inclined to pull on it.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 6:03am

Martin is right on! these structures along with the humours fluids that fills the eye and the reflective tissue on the back side of the front of the eye tell us what the eye is capable of perceiving. How their brain uses this information is a mystery As for fishes eyes changing due to maturity and conditions dose not surprise me, the shorter the wavelength the more defined fine edges become macroscopic prey become easier to detect ,even the most expensive optical microscopes are useless over 1000X zoom due to human eyes visual range the edges become fuzzy due to how long the wavelengths we detect. There is only so much room on the retina to fit different cones and rods so if there is advantage in having one type over the other then they will take it up. A lot of fish species change sex from male to female (Barra)when they get to a certain size. So changing conditions in the eye would no more of a stretch 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic