Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Early Hall's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Early Hall's?
    Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 9:51am
G'day All, this lure I was fortunate to trade for an Aussie reel here in Darwin. Story behind it is, it came from an old fella's tackle box, lure possibly purchased here in Darwin over 30yrs. ago. Being the 'round-bibbed' model it is one of the very early ones Henry Hall made, and could have been known as a 'Hall's Lure', before the official name change to BarraKing. This makes two 4"of this model in my collection, plus a 3" with same bib, any feedback with regards to vintage appreciated from LL members, who may know more about the Hall story. Cranky's bio on Henry is very informative re time-line. Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
Nice pickup Tony

According to Henry the round bibbed versions were made up until "about 1982"

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 11:08am
Thanks Tony, confirmed my theory, up until 1982, so minimum of 30yrs. old. Must have been from one of the first batches sold by George Voukolos from Fishing & Outdoor World, Darwin. As you know, George was the one who gave them the 'BarraKing' moniker.
Regards, Seaweed.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 11:10am
Forgot to mention Tony, this one didn't come cheap. Traded for a 'mint', Aussie Graeme Dolphin 400 reel LOL.
You and I must talk, re our BarraKing collections Wink.
Seaweed.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:46pm
My guess would be yours is one made towards the end of the period before Henry switched to the coffin bib Tony, the very first ones (i.e Hall Lures) had different eyes than the forward facing ones we normally see in Barra Kings

The second lure in the picture below is one that Henry mentioned was amongst his earliest ever lures

There's some more pics and info in this thread:
http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/visit-with-henry-and-aileen-hall-feb-2010_topic886.html

p.s. Will be happy to talk re our BK collections, although mine is very modest compared to yours, don't come across many down this way unfortunately!

Cheers, Tony

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:50pm
Nice lures Tony...the second one I have not seen before...well done
cheers steiny
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 10:03am
Thanks Tony, that one is definitely different, hadn't noticed that centred pupil before. So looks like you're the proud owner of a very early 'Hall's' Lure.
Now, which one of my male offspring do you want, older 23yrs. 6' 2" builder, or the younger 22yrs. only slightly smaller LOL.
Seaweed.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 11:31am
Only in my dreams Tony  LOL

The lures I posted in that thread were ones that Henry showed us during the visit.

Cheers, Tony

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:33am
Tony, thought they were yours, I'd say quite rare then, makes the search all the more challenging.
Have another theory re time-line, would appreciate your opinion on, I've noticed on several of my 4" models Henry has painted a fine line just behind the head, before the general five vertical stripes. Predominately the colour is 'red', but I have one of the round-bibbed in blue, pls refer to my collection post. What are your thought's 'early ones'? I have a total of eleven in this style.
Regards, Seaweed.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 11:00am
Have just had some 'collector' business cards printed, going to distribute in Darwin & Rural areas, to try an unearth a few of the early ones, I'll keep you all posted.
Tony, I'll PM you with a picture of my 'doubles', may have something you're chasing as swaps.
Regards, Seaweed.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:52pm
On doing a re-read of the Henry Hall 'BarraKing' posts. I'm indebted to Tony (Boss), who mentioned the very early "Hall Lures' before the BarraKing branding, had the eyes with the larger 'centred pupil'.
I'm still looking for one of those Tony, you'll notice the pupil on the top and bottom lures in this group are larger, therefore earlier but still forward looking, but not large centred pupil as in the 'Halls Lure' example Tony shows. 
Keeps me on my toes, gotta be one in Darwin somewhere Big smile.
Regards, Seaweed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic