LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vic McCristal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vic McCristal
    Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 6:23pm
Guys I am after information as to the earliest writings about fishing or hunting or Outdoors by Vic.
So far I have looked through all of my early Mags and found an article in Australian Outdoors by Vic and re Murray Cod on the Murray.
It was March 1960.
This is the earliest one I can find however I do not have 1950's Mags.
I uncovered an article by Vic in the Angler's Digest Feb 1966.
After looking through quite a lot of Angler's Digests from 1964-65 I was unable to find one.
His early association with Outdoors may have stopped him from writing in early Digests.
I do have quite a few gaps in my Mags so this is the best I have found.
It would be great to find other earlier ones if they are out there.
The Journey is the Reward

Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 7:02pm
Captain I have an Outdoors magazine dated 1958 with an article written by Vic, not sure where I have hidden it, if my memory is correct he was guiding back then.

Big-Pete
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 7:47pm
Captain Vic's earliest was done in 1956 Genoa Bass as reference from McSea DVD by Phil Black. Debbie D
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:22pm
Captain
I have a March 1965 Australian Outdoors with articles by Vic on camel and crocodile, it also has a column by Vic titled 'Rod and Rifle', let me know if you're interested.
Cheers Steve
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 12:30am
Couldn't find any of Vic's in old Anglers Digest
Strange because Nick Harvey was writing in both during the 50s

In Outdoors I found fishing articles  Aug 55, Sept 55, Jun 57, Jan 58, Jun 58, Sept 58,
Jun 59 and July 59.  Another 14 articles on dogs, shooting, knives etc. b/w 1955 and 1960

Cheers, Jim
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:04am
Great help guys.Thankyou all.
Jim I would be keen to see that Aug 1955 article as Deb's reference has indicated Vic's first article was in 1956.
The Journey is the Reward

handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 1:44pm
Crikey I better replay that DVD. I'm looking for that story as well.
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:42pm
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 5:55pm
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:04pm
Jim great article even back then Vic was talking about bag limits and closed seasons
cheers Graeme
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:35pm
A great thinker, way ahead of his time.

Cheers, Jim
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 6:40pm
His masterpiece was "The Rivers and the Sea" unappreciated by the masses and I read somewhere the reason he gave up writing books.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:02pm
I have read a lot of his work and it's got to be good for me to actually read it and not skim through. Vic had a lot of 'mates'. I am collecting all his stories.
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:32pm
That story was when he was a meat inspector at Bourke.
trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 1:45pm
Hi all, this post came up at an opportune time. I've just been having a massive clean out of the fishing room, filling a milk crate with lures collected over 40 years, prior to sorting them out for sale. When I got around to the fishing mags, a Australian Outdoors, August 1964 was in them, with an article from Vic titled "Restocking is a furphy". It must have been the reason I kept it, because there were no other mags anywhere near as old. Written before impoundment stocking, it's emphasis is on streams. Vic's thoughts on the subject, with reference to John Lake's early work at Narrandera. Unfortunately, the condition of the pages and the small font used did not suitably scan. I know the Handbrake will want to read it, so I think photocopying and snail mail will be the way. If anyone else wants to read it, pm me and I'll arrange for you to send a stamped address envelope
Trev

Trev
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 3:35pm
You know me well Trevor. Anything Vic related I'm interested in.
DebbieD
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 5:41pm
"know your ducks", reminds me of a good qld/nsw joke......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 5:57pm
Ohhh a garage saleClap , I'll be there Trev Wink
pssst I'll be there camped in the driveway the night before to beat Martin Thumbs Up
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

trevron1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 6:33pm
Didn't take you long Deb. Obviously you want a copy. Will organise it. Brad, no garage sale, will photograph them all and put them on a disc, if you want to peruse them. Quick list, Newells, McFeeters, Brett Campbells, 1 timber Stumpjumper, Flopys, Rebels, timber Killalures, Bladerunners, Koolabungs, Rapala, Heddon, Burkes flexplugs, Dolls eye Boomerangs, Dollseye Lively Assassins, Flicks, Storm, Manns Depth plus, Elliots, Cordell, C lures, Luhr Jehnsen, Arbogast plus heaps of odds and sods. Still thinking about some of Mollers.
Trev
Trev
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 6:42pm
and that's a quick-list?.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2015 at 7:50pm
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 7:17am
I'm interested , that's a nice list!
Cheers Steve
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2015 at 3:03pm
BUGGER, so my trick of changing the directional arrows on the garage sale signs won't workWink
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic