LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vicious Fishes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vicious Fishes
    Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 4:07am

I have been making the odd hand carved cedar lure for a number of years.
After seeing all the pretty lures on here and other forums I finally decided to buy an airbrush (Iwata Eclipse).
With a steep learning curve (watching You Tube "Sybe Baits" and "Solarfall Lures") this is what I ended up with.

Camo 6cm Minnow, 6.5cm Tiger and 9cm Minnow

Silver Black Scales 6cm Minnow, 8cm Tiger, 12 cm Fish (Large Body)

Gold Mullet 6cm Minnow, 8cm Fish, 8cm Tiger, 12cm Fish

Dragon Scales 6.5cm Minnow, 8cm Fish, 12cm Fish

Thanks
Steve B
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 5:30am
Beautiful work Steve love em all mate ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 5:54am
Nice work there Steve...very nice Thumbs Up

Mick!!!
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:05am
Steve some great lures and paintwork there.Keep up the pics and thankyou for posting them.
The Journey is the Reward

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:13am
excellent scale patterns mate! Love the silver oneDo you air brush the eyes? Thats what im having the most trouble with.
Nice work..
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 6:20am
WOW i just love those scales you make. The silver ones are just so greatClapClapClapClapClapClap
Wont to see some more
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 7:26am
Very nice paint work there maint!!!! Love em
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 7:59am
Very well done mate, great variety of designs.

Gordon
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 8:17am
Great lures and great paintwork. You should be pleased with those. Well done!
cheers steiny
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 8:51am
They look great Steve, nice patterns, thanks for posting, regards Chris
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 12:06pm
Steve, they look good. The scaled ones are the fav for me.

Angus
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 3:26pm
COOL DUDECool
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Vicious Fishes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 4:44am

Thanks for the encouraging comments.
This is my favourite section of the forum.
I love checking out all the homemade creations as there is some incredible skill out there.

Davent: I think eyes are the biggest hassle.
I have a little panic attack while doing them.

Eyes are done with an old paintbrush handle (eye stick) cut to size and dipped in paint. As you will have read on here the paint has to be a perfect consistency to get nice round eyes. I put a little paint into a beer cap so I can see what I'm doing and very carefully touch the end of the eye stick to the surface of the paint so that a small drop of paint adheres to the end (you do not want any paint up the side of the eye stick and I regularly wipe the eye stick on paper towel) , this drop size will be determined by a bit of practice and you can get a smaller drop by gently touching the drop against the topside of the beer cap. Use a soft touch when pressing the stick against the lure don't press hard.

I also carefully mark the position of the centre of the eye on the lure as having something to aim at definitely helps me.
Some people clearcoat the lure before doing the eyes as they can then wipe the paint off if they mess up.
I use 6mm for white 4mm for red which gives you 8mm eyes with 5-6mm pupil any bigger and my eyes start going out of round big time.

Sounds a bit anal but you want round eyes.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:24pm
I made these lures for a trip to Weipa and Port Douglas.

Body and bib slots are cut on a scroll saw and then belly slots cut with a handsaw or eyelet holes drilled, weight holes are cut with a chisel, Dremel is used to cut centre of popper face to the correct depth, lures are hand carved with a knife and sandpaper.

Bibs are hand cut 1.2mm aluminium

Glue is long cure 2 part epoxy

Paint is:
2 coats of 2 part epoxy sealer
3 wet on wet coats of 2 part epoxy primer
Lacquer Paint

3 wet on wet coats of 2 part polyurethane clear

13.5cm Walker / Paddler 35 grams

Western Red Cedar
1.2mm 200lb Mason SS Wire twisted eyelets
55mm and 66mm wide bibs
Smaller bib is for large tidal river
8 grams lead in belly at rear for casting

18cm Fish 35 grams

Jelutong

One piece 1.2mm 200lb Mason SS wire frame

6 grams lead in belly channel behind centre eyelet for casting

Slightly enlarged bib to compensate for lead

I made the other 2 blokes coming on the trip a special lure each that I will give to them in Weipa and packaged them in a bag with a printed label.

My mate gets called Dusky so I made him a “Copper Dusky” and my brother gets called Astro so his is “Black Astro” because he wanted a black lure for night fishing (I couldn’t help myself and so it is not quite all black).

18cm Stick Vibe 90 grams

Jelutong

One piece 1.6mm SS wire frame

Slow sink in salt water slightly head down

24 grams lead in belly in front of centre eyelet

12 grams lead in belly halfway between centre eyelet and rear

I made some 12mm eyes for these

18cm Popper 90 grams and 3.5cm Tail 10 grams

Western Red Cedar
One piece 1.6mm SS wire frame
20 grams of lead in belly at rear for casting
These are my version of an FCL Labo popper because they do not have a 90 gram popper

They have a 19cm 65 gram or the next one up is 21cm 120 gram

Thanks
Steve

ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:02pm
Wow, they look great.  They're getting better and better.  I love the Black Astro and Copper Dusky.  They should get hammered in Weipa.  Well done.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 6:08pm
WOW they are cool, very well done - and love the camo. You scales - fish and dragon, are topsThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:36pm
Awesome paintwork and lures!
cheers steiny
1wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:50pm
Great work you have made some excellent lures , you learn quick with the air brush as your colours are very good .

As for eyes you should just copy Lofty's work cheers Mick
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:54pm
Top stuff - very original designs

MXB
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:50pm
NEATO!
Some 'edgy' thinking and applications.
Where to next???
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
HellRazer667 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HellRazer667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 9:00pm
Very nice lures and paintwork! Love those scales in silver lures.
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 6:28am

Great lures , and the poppers look great Thumbs Up

Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:31am
Very nice lures indeed the finish is brilliant thanx for  puttin  them up ......cheers SmileDave
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:45am
Grrrreat!!!!!!!!!!

Verlon
Baitman
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 10:51am
Great work.
I'm thoroughly impressed with the vibe/stick idea.
I reckon invaluable if you're on a weight restrictive packing list for a big trip.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:31am
Just found this thread, glad I did  - some very nice lures/paint here Steve, it looks like you have mastered that new 'brush'.
Keep the coming.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 12:19pm

they look tops, really nice work the latest ones

Angus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 3:22pm
Thanks for checking them out and leaving some positive comments.

This lot is by far the best I have yet made.
Wish I had learnt about airbrushes and 2 pack paint ages ago.

It's hard to be original these days but catching fish on a lure that you made is special.

I don't quite understand about Lofty's eyes but I am happy with all the eyes on these except the Walkers which are a bit dodgy.

Thanks Again
Steve

Ganesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 8:52pm
Great looking lures Steve, Have you been to Weipa before top spot. I make a few lures myself not as good as yours but they work ok.

Ganesy Weipa
Ganesy
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 4:51pm
Ganesy - your lures are nothing to be sneezed at - they look good and work very well - I can't fault themThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 5:41pm
Beautifull lures Stephen, looks like the airbrush was a good investment! Artistic
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 11:14pm
Wow!'copper dusky is wow wow wow!

Looks like I need to play with 2 pac colors, I clear with 2 pac, will give them a go.

The eye tips are great, thanks for the detailed tips, painted 15 lures today, f**ked up 6 lures because of eyes today, that's what you get when its 32 deg at 8 30 am.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 7:56am
Ganesy- We've been to Weipa a bunch of times. On Steve's houseboats heaps and a bit of land based. Had some good and bad days but that's fishing. It sure is a great place and feels a bit like a second home to us now.
I'm with Martin on your lures there's nothing wrong with them.

Davent- I only use 1 part lacquer paint but use 2 part epoxy primer that Aaron uses and for me it beats all other primer / undercoats hands down as it is very hard. I also used the same brand of their marine clear which is also 2 part. I like it better than what I have used in the past as it is clear hard and has uv inhibitors in it so it won't go yellow. Just have to see how the paint holds up in the real world.

Steve
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 8:13pm
1 part laquer paint?
I've used auto acrylics, but this time of the year, I use a lot of thinners!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 3:14pm
Managed to jag a couple of fish off Port Douglas recently.

The purple stickvibe did the job and put a smile on my face while the gold one was taken home by something that wanted it more than me.

Mackerel

Trevally

Bass

After

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic