Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit with Henry and Aileen Hall - Feb 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visit with Henry and Aileen Hall - Feb 2010
    Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 3:57pm
On my recent trip to Cairns I was lucky enough to meet Henry and Aileen Hall, along with Barry who kindly organised the visit.

Our morning spent with Henry and Aileen was very enjoyable, and I have to tell you that Eileen makes an awesome Custard Tart! Thank you Henry and Aileen for your hospitality, it was great to sit down to a nice lunch and chat with you.

Henry dragged out a few old Barra Annuals to show me the original advertisement for Barra King lures, although there were some other surprises in there too including a photo of Eileen holding up a nice Barra with a great story to it.

I also took the opportunity to have a look at the hand made Pens that Henry makes, I'd seen some photo's but to see them in person was much better as they are a work of art. Here's a couple of Henry's pens that I had to have, these ones are made out of timber, Henry also does a beautifull acrylic version. Unfortunately my photo doesn't do these justice, I'll have to put a better pic up when I get a chance!

After a relaxing lunch the boys are off to the shed!

Henry took us out to the shed to show a few things he thought we'd find interesting

He was right! In fact Henry shared so much with us that my head was spinning! LOL

Here's some pics of early Barra Kings that Henry showed us (I hope the pictures aren't too blurry, it took a while to get my heart beat back down, and for the shock to my system to pass)

Early version 10cm Barra King with round bib.

The very first Barra King Lures
If you see/have one of these lures (or any other Henry and Aileen Hall Barra Kings) I'd love to hear about it Tongue

Henry and Aileen Hall Barra Kings
(I could look at these all day) Smile

One of the very first Barra King lures made (note the round bib) sitting with a matching set of the later lures made by Henry. (the earliest lures came on a yellow card)

The lures below are the prototype Prop-A-Pop-a Lures that Henry made for Jeff Reid.
More info can be found on these here: http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=820&title=bladed-reidys-propapopa-lure

A spoon lure that Henry made using tools he built himself to do the job.

Having a background as a fitter and turner has stood Henry in very good stead! (Henry also showed us metal and timber lathes that he had made himself, along with various jigs and other tools he has required over his career)

I'm certain there's a lot I'll be adding to this post - In my excitement to finally meet Henry and Aileen I didn't take notes as I was having too much fun. Fortunately we were given an open invitation (at least I was - Sorry Barry lol) ShockedLOL so hopefully next time I'll be better organised!

Thanks again Henry and Aileen, and thank you to Barry for your friendship and assistance Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:34pm
VERY VERY VERY cool stuff indeed really dig that tackle box full of goodies nice........TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueClapClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 7:20pm
Great report and some terrific lures.

No wonder your hands were shaking,  between the early lures and a box full of the current ones.

OldNed View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 7:22am
Magic stuff Tony, Thanks for sharing. Look forward to the further reports on your trip.Big smile Regards Brian
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2010 at 10:29pm
Henry has kindly given me some more info about both the very early round bibbed lures, and the spoon lures.

The round bibbed lures were made up until about 1982

The spoon lures were made from approximately 1979 until around 1984

Thank you Henry Smile
Cheers, Tony

sticko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sticko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 9:42pm
I was lucky to off known Henry and Aileen,they lived and worked in Bundaberg . I remember Henry telling me he made lures,but i had never seen them.It was just this week that i found some old lures.and bugger me if two of those weren't Henry Hall originals. and the others were by the bloke who bought Henrys lure business.I will post these pictures when i get a chance.Tongue
STICKO

Nobody Wins unless Everybody Wins
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 5:26am
Well done Sticko finding them.Those originals are quite rare and no doubt you may get a few PM's.
Can't wait to see the pics.
The Journey is the Reward

Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 6:30am
Now that is a good read. I love this sort of info - it is fantastic.

Time for a jealous emoticon.
Painted sticks with hooks sure, but they are oh soooo nice!
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 9:07am
Have you got anymore to add to this story Tony, I would love to hear more about their luremaking Smile
Cheers
Adrian
Toga Fever
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 3:46pm
Afraid not Adrian, although I'd certainly love to visit Barry, Henry, Aileen, and other friends I made up north again when I get a chance.

Right now I'm madly trying to catch up on work as I have fallen wayyyy behind and the bills keep coming in regardless ConfusedLOL  hopefully in the new year I'll be able to make some more time to have some fun doing research on lures Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 6:52pm
Wow I love that sort of stuff ! I am very envious of you, that story was great.
 Gary
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 7:18pm
That's gold ,

Thanks for posting this small story. 

Regards Tony 
BlueyNT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueyNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 7:34pm
Old post I know so I hope mine reply gets up .

In 1984 I was on a fishing adventure with my wife and another couple ,we passed through Mossman NQ and I picked up some of Henry's  BarraKing Lures on the way through to the Cape .IIRC correctly I got them from a small shop at the entrance to a caravan park.
I also posted my experience in meeting Carl Grist in Cooktown on the same trip .My post can be read in the C Lures sub folder .
Here are  pics of the BarraKings , one in its' original packaging with a price tag of $7.00.
The yellow tiger pattern has never been used ,just been rattling around in my tackle box .
The silver and black one has a few battle scars from Kakadu barra.
The bottom lure is a Killalure and it snuck in when I wasn't looking .

tjanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 10:01am
Love this post I was wondering if anyone knew if they ever lived in a place called poponining in wa in the 90s we use to visit a henry hall when I was a 10 year old can't remember seeing any lures though haha
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 3:08pm
Doing a re-read of these great old posts, if you see this Sticko, interested on your finding the two old Henry Hall's in your collection and maybe getting you to post a pic.
Reason I ask is, are they very early?, with the large 'centred' pupil as in the example Tony shows?
I'll drop you a PM to jog your memory.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:55pm
Fantastic read Approve
THE CODFATHER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic