LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visiting Cairns Cooktown August 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visiting Cairns Cooktown August 2014
    Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 7:22pm
Attending a family  wedding in Cairns early August having a week in the area and hope to have an over-nighter in Cooktown and have a fish off the jetty their.

Last time I visited the area the jetty  was being re-modelled. You could see the large Barra at the time sheltering out of the strong tidal movement  behind the pylons.

I am also looking forward to visit any markets that will be on during the period. (Atherton Mareeba)

Regards John
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2014 at 8:21pm
Great time of the year to be up that way.
If my memory serves me correctly the markets are shared around between the different centres on the Atherton Tablelands. They take turns and have a predisignated centre for each weekend of the month.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 10:15am
John, Yungaburra market (the big one!)is held 4th Sat.of the month 7.30-12.30,Atherton is 1st Sat.of month 7-12, Mareeba is 3rd & 5th Sat.7-12noon. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 10:18am
John, what are the dates you will be in Cairns?

Allan
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 4:30pm
Thanks Richard Gimme Allan

Allan arriving Tuesday 5th of August and leaving 12 of August. Wedding Thursday.

I hope to get a chance to fish towards evening and at night (under the lights) after the regular touristy things are out of the way, and the others are having a spell.

We hope to have an overnighter in Cooktown after the wedding and try and visit any markets that might be on the go at the same time.

Was lucky enough to fish the Naval area last time (under lights) very interesting fishing spot

Regards John
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 4:38pm
John, would have loved to done a meet and greet, and had a fish, but at this stage I will be away for the Lure Expo, and another week in the South East as well.
At least you will be warm up here .

Allan
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 4:43pm
Thanks Allan You guys had a cold stretch recently We had snow Saturday.

Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 7:37am
Hi john as you know I will still be in Alaska however you should have a look at my room while you are up
My son or wife will give you a guided tour no problems at all
The Journey is the Reward

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 12:44pm
Thanks BarryThumbs Up will bring a camera if that is okay

Regards John
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 1:28pm
Such a big bag for a little camera
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:25am
I can take you fishing for Jacks if you are here on a sunday , or JPs sat afternoon . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:36am
Originally posted by CaptainCranky CaptainCranky wrote:

Hi john as you know I will still be in Alaska however you should have a look at my room while you are up
My son or wife will give you a guided tour no problems at all

That's a cool offer Barry !!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 9:00am
It sure is Tony.
  Captain had a visitation to my treasures at the time, during his last Lure Fest visit

Thanks Ian PM being sent later this morning  just had a visitor knock on the door

Regards John
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 10:58am
Camera is no problem john
The Journey is the Reward

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 2:51pm
Thanks BarryThumbs Up
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:46pm
Caught up with Red Hunter and saw his great display of wooden lures on his back wall from many of our own LL members
Some exceptional rods made by Ian were also sprinkled amongst the lures.

Captain Cranky family showed me around his vast collection of fishing gear  no doubt I missed a bit, but could have stayed all day, but family commitments did not allow this, but a couple of hours was a real eye opener a collection worked on over a very long time .

The eskimo fishing gear placed over the  ice hole was a beauty. Any unusual, or scarce piece of fishing gear I am an absolute sucker.

Thanks Ian and Barry.

I am planning on returning at this stage to Cooktown area in July / Aug  for a period of time next year and anybody interested in finding a few days and tackling the area please PM.

Regards John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic