LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump Question
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:16pm
How often do/should you have to replace an impeller in an outboard ?
I have to replace mine again ! two in 2 1/2 years . Is that right ?  Boat gets used about a dozen times a year , maybe even less actually .
I like pretty painted sticks
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:42pm
A lot of manufacturers recommend they be replaced every 100hrs or each year but will last up to three or four years. I have a '99 Yamaha and it's on its third impeller and due for the next. If the motor is used regularly, they tend to last a bit longer than a motor that is used very little as the rubber can get hard and brittle.
Fysshe
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:43pm
Sometimes jeff less use is worse than lots of use
And when just sitting they can perish...2 times in 2 years seems excessive though.
I wash and flush mine thoroughly after every use even if ive been in freshwater dams.. my motor is a 2005 yamaha 2 stroke. ..ive changed the impeller once.. .just last year.. even then it was precautionary not necessary.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:45pm
i get my motor serviced every twelve months. part of that is replacing the impeller. probably every second service i replace the whole water pump. just try to keep everything in the best condition possible. no matter how good you think you are, you can't walk on water.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 7:54pm
yep im with Mick. I had my old yamaha serviced every 12 months and replaced the impeller every service. I recently bought a new yamaha 60hp 4 stroke and will be doing the same with this one after its initial service 
All my braids gone!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 9:57pm
ive got a 25 mercury 4stroke and it gets used at least every couple of months ,probably does 100-120hours a year ,I get it serviced with a new impellor every year and a half,no problems so far runs really well.I'd have to agree with the other blokes though in that the impellor gets more damaged from the motor sitting for long periods than anything else,i gues it dries out and gets stiff and perished
that's no how ye make porridge!
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 10:02pm
I agree with Chris. in the service inspection is necessary, replacement is sound while the water pump is disasembled
The older I get the more I learn.
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:59am
The other point to remember here is that the regular removal and replacement of the lower leg allows application of lubricants and sealants to the driveshaft where it mates with the crankshaft and the bolts/studs that attach the gearbox to the outboard. Without regular attention, these points can and do seize up and are very difficult to dismantle. I have seen this many times and it's not pretty, especially when the driveshaft is seized in the crank, you only need 1 O ring to fail and you've major problems. Regular service is a sound investment.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:56am
Sound advice Steve and Nicho that less use is not always good and rods@cods is on the mark I start my motor at home in fresh water at least once a month
The older I get the more I learn.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:32am
goes all down the line, filters, diaphrams, they all dry and perish from lack of use. i'll start my motor at least once a month, no matter whether i've been fishing or not.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 6:06am
Cheers fellas .
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:40pm
if you haven`t used your motor for a while and start it dry ,doesn`t take long to kill the impellor .Not saying you did this . I was flushing my honda out and the hose unclicked off the ears, only ran for a short time and i noticed the telltale not working,  melted the rubber arms off the impellor  Gaz

be anxious for nothing
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 5:34pm
Just rehashing this topic .
 On the weekend whilst trolling at idle , I noticed it had stop pumpimg water out the tell tale hole , increased the revs a little and it started running out again .
Rang the dealer and he said it probably had a restriction . How can it be constricted when the water runs out at a higher rev ?
Something isnt right . I believe the water pump is somehow not working efficiently .

Any ideas ? It is a Parsun 30 HP , same as a Yamaha .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic