LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Deception Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a find this would be....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a find this would be....
    Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 9:07pm
This old tackle tray image from one of Starlo's tips and techniques magazines is a Deception collectors dream. Apart from some other great Aussie timbers clearly visible and representative of the era (Whitty's etc), I can see 4 Deception Yabbies, 2 or 3 Deception Whitmore Shrimp and what looks to possibly be a very early Scampi - maybe even a cutlet bone model, situated beneath the 3 Yabbies 3rd compartment from the left. So awesome.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
Didn't he sell some Deceptions on the site a while back ?
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 9:35pm
Is that a Cutlet Bone Scampi under the Yabby's Tongue

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:01am
Rob I was hoping you could help with that mate - too early for any other Deception heavyweights (Redclaw, modern Scampi) which suggests it very well could be As Paul knew Starlo well back in that era it could have even been a photo of Starlo's own lure tray and some Deceptions he got directly from Paul, including what may be a cutlet bone Scampi.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Raffey Raffey wrote:

Rob I was hoping you could help with that mate - too early for any other Deception heavyweights (Redclaw, modern Scampi) which suggests it very well could be As Paul knew Starlo well back in that era it could have even been a photo of Starlo's own lure tray and some Deceptions he got directly from Paul, including what may be a cutlet bone Scampi.

Cheers,

Danny.
Correct Danny, that was Steve's tackle box and more than likely a Cutlet Scampi. On one of our Windemere trips, when we were packing up the cabin to go home, I threw a Cherax in the bin as after several fish a big chunk of paint had come off taking an eye with it (not mine, the luresShocked) Starlo looked at me and said "I am not that proud!" walked to the bin, got it out and put it in his tackle box. Sometime later I was watching the Rex Hunt show and Starlo catches a nice fish on a Cherax, I was thinking to myself that looks like the same colour lure as the binned one? Sure enough as the fish spins and exposes the other side of the lure, a big chunk of missing paint and no eye. I was excited and horrified all in the one emotion LOL
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 3:25pm
He used to be a LL member, don't know if he still browses, why not try a PM, you never know, he may still have and be willing to part with some.
I did know he auctioned quite a few lures some time back, don't remember any Deceptions coming up.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:19pm
Great story Paul. Thanks for sharing it. It would have been great to have had Starlo on this forum more, to both share his knowledge and more stories like that. Most of what I knew growing up was learnt through reading his articles (I believe he's hands down the greatest fishing journalist to date) and the way I fish these days is all a product of what he used to share with us back then.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:46pm
Thx too Paul... love shit like that... what a surprise...
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:11am
Steve was a member on here (may still be?) unfortunately he stuck his head up and a few tried to knock it off. He was basically attacked for selling a lot of his old lure to members here, imagine selling lures to collector on a lure collecting site? The hide of him! I felt bad for him and embarrassed as well as I had coerced him into joining the site for the best part of 18 months. The smart ones PM'd him and did deals behind the scenes Wink He is on Face Book, doesn't hurt to see if he has anything left.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Bigriver Bigriver wrote:

Steve was a member on here (may still be?) unfortunately he stuck his head up and a few tried to knock it off. He was basically attacked for selling a lot of his old lure to members here, imagine selling lures to collector on a lure collecting site? The hide of him! I felt bad for him and embarrassed as well as I had coerced him into joining the site for the best part of 18 months. The smart ones PM'd him and did deals behind the scenes Wink He is on Face Book, doesn't hurt to see if he has anything left.

your not the only one that was embarrased for him paul and ive never met him....it would of been good have him welcome on here so we could hear a few yarns and positive input from someone that actually made the grade.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 8:26am
Wonder if this is the same Cutlet Bone Scampi .... don't think it came from Starlo, but it may have seen a few Owners LOL

Paul, I know only a handful were made but what are the chances it's the same lure - colour looks similar Question

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:18pm
Yes Paul why would he bother coming back after that? I'm sure he's losing sleep over it I've suddenly found myself in similar situations on this site a couple of times too in relation to lure sales and it's a waste of time debating/explaining cause at the end of the day you can't rationalise to those personalities. I'm going to take a guess and say that the ones he wants to sell are all gone, as he sold a couple of Newells on here recently (Matt Fraser showed some serious quality during this auction - well done Matt ) that seemed to be a couple of stragglers in his garage that he'd just come across.

Cheers,

Danny.

Echo Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic