LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Bream Lures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Bream Lures?
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 1:05pm
hi guys

just wondering what lures you guys use for bream??? 
i have never targeted them on HB's before so have no idea what to use?? or what structure to look for rock bars, sand banks, gravel banks???

any help greatly appreciated...

cheers Nick
AROBBO View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
LollyPop Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AROBBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 5:37pm
what ever structure really they are there, use bass lures mate, anything small, there is nothing a $3 berkley frenzy lure cant catch.
EAT-SLEEP-BREATH-FISH
LollyPop Lures
northcoast View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northcoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:12pm
The smallest tiny torpedo for the surface is deadly,and probably the small ecogear sx 40 I think they are the top of my head.Storm also have a great range.So if you use them as a guidline you should be able to make decisions from there.
Rock bars will always have Bream and broadwaters /shallow water with plenty of seagrass bream chase small prawns and baitfish over the flats fallen timber leading edge or downstream will also harbour them,my favourite is on the flood tide up against overhanging mangroves or any tree for that matter hope this help regards Gary
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:37pm
NICK!!!!! Confused Gawd where do you start...... Anything up to 60mm long, profile depends on where the fish are, up the canals, slim and discreet, out on the flats, and up the backwaters of rivers, fat & noisy works well .
Depending on the time of day, surface or just under in low light periods, Mid depth in dirty water & down deep during the brighter parts of the day in clear water.
Of course that's just hard body lures, when you start with Blades & Jigs...whatever works on the day.
In softies, I like old school minnow grubs like Slider 1 1/2" & 2", and if all else fails fall back to Gulp Minnows, Shrimp and Sandworms if I feel like baitfishing.

Bream can be the most annoying or the most exhilarating quarry, all depends on their mood.

Any fishy looking water will hold Bream, I can only think of one place I haven't caught them...Upstream of the first dam wall on a river. But for sure try rock walls, gravel beds, rockbars and under over hanging trees, Bream prefer a sticky snag rather than a single log, and don't discount the smallest hollow in a bank if there is grass around it.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:40pm
Brad you are spot on with your advice, the lures that I like are little surface fizzers and a cheapy a Kakoda Sprog $4--- $5 at the big department stores, they work very well in any colourThumbs Up and blades in the deeper stuffSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:40pm
Speaking of bream. Came across one the other day black and white photo 6lbs something  CLEANED forget the ozs
They referred to a  recorded one around I think 1916  Over 7lbs plus not cleaned.

Can you still catch them around that size  . What is a good average size bream caught today. 

Will try and track down photo and article and post
Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:11pm
Anglers Digest   Feb 1967

Regards John

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:41pm
i think there was a picture of a 8 pounder in one of  the gregorys fishing maps books in the early seventies anybody got one?.that 7lb bream would just about pull your arm off i recon john!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:48pm
Biggest Yellowfin (Northern) Bream I have heard of was 2.3kg caught down Cabarita way. We usually get most bream in Moreton Bay up to the 800g mark and rarely exceed 1.2kg, probably due to the prolific netting. From guys that fish further south, the Black bream of southern parts are HUGE...in Tassie they reckon 1kg fish are babies LOL

from the info superfishway...
acanthropagus australis... Australian record Yellowfin Bream 4.445kg.
Acanthopagrus butcheri .....Aust record: 3.45kg

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:06pm
They say that they age slowly  so a seven lb fish must be a fair age.

regards John
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:30pm
What Brad said! write it all downQ LOL

[gawd knows l am!]LOL

Anthony
Glennh View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:58pm
hey guys
Ive got to say you guys like to fish small for bream, having fished bream on lures for about 20 years and tournaments for about nine years ive caught Bream on a lot of different lures in a lot of different situations. What i will tell you are the ones ive earnt the most cash on and the ones ive caught my biggest on!.

Ok for my no.1 top hard body diver (rec and tourn) its definatley the Bill Norman Deep tiny n i have weighed plenty of fish on these over the years. My first ABT tourny in the Hawkesbury i actually came 8th and caught all my fish on a Travers Powell in Rainbow trout (thanks Mr Powell), in the last few years though i would say that i have caught my biggest on a Jackal tiny fry 1.43kg closely followed by a halco 68 scorpion shallow 1.39kg(great round rocks and racks).

Now for plastics the 1 i will always put out is a Berkley 3" minnow grub (definatley the lure i have made the most money on by far, and won my first Abt event on!)its a good numbers and big fish lure(1.46kg  best),  i do still love the powerbait 3" minnows and my fav upgrader plastic is always the gulp  5" jerkbait. (biggest bream stopped so far 1.67kg)

Surface luring bream is definatley my fav way of catchng Bream and my top lure would be a jackal water moccasin 75mm but i also love throwin an old 100mm berkley frenzy for the big ones (best 1.29kg) antoher good one is 65mm sammy.

Blades i like the ecogear zx both sizes and the river to sea glassies.

Cheeers Glenn.
NB96 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NB96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:56pm
thanx for all your excellent info guys, it is greatly appreciated..... just got back from brissy and had no internet.... 

thanx Nick
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Glennh Glennh wrote:

Ok for my no.1 top hard body diver (rec and tourn) its definatley the Bill Norman Deep tiny n i have weighed plenty of fish on these over the years. My first ABT tourny in the Hawkesbury i actually came 8th and caught all my fish on a Travers Powell in Rainbow trout (thanks Mr Powell), in the last few years though i would say that i have caught my biggest on a Jackal tiny fry 1.43kg closely followed by a halco 68 scorpion shallow 1.39kg(great round rocks and racks). 
Cheeers Glenn.
Bushy loves the little "Trout" lure in Rainbow trout colour for Bream.  Was it the Trout or Micro Digger that you caught those bream on?  Hopefully, you didn't give up on them after an eigth positionWink.

Micro Digger on the left and Trout on the right.  Rainbow Trout colour in the middle.

Cheers

Travers
Glennh View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:22am
Hey Travers
consider those rainbow trout gone mate ill be at maitland at 9!!
Cheers Glenn.
Glennh View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:24am
oh yeah it was the trout!! nah still throw it hesitantly cause i havent backed it up with a spare but ill have that sorted in a week!! then ill retire the old one to the man cave!!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 11:55am
OK whats ya fav bream lure this time of year boys???????????regards bobWink
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 3:22pm
Grab one of Powelly's the ones on the top left white with the black stripes entice a lot of Bream ;)
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 6:23pm
the biggest i got from the Bribie passage 1.86kg most were 600-800gr
wish they grew bigger as they pull bloody hard at that size

the lads have given lotsa info on lure models, just be quiet and try a bit shallower from where you are getting your flatty from
it works over the Island from Tuan

regards George
\

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 9:01pm
About 40yrs ago when the Bass fishing got quiet in the cooler months, we used similar techniques in the estuaries. Bream were our most prolific catches with Flathead and Trevally as a nice bycatch! My favourite was definitely  the Shakespeare Little "S" but the small Flopys were excellent as well. You'll hafta excuse the "bag" photos as we used to eat our catch back then! Embarrassed 
Fysshe
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:17am
BREAM on jigs IAN & they say its a style of fishing Winknice bream mateClapClapClapregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 12:13pm
4 1/2lb on bait, Bloodworm. 6x in 30 min.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
beardy View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Beardys lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:03pm
my purple does wonders 32 35 41glenelg river cheers beardy

beardy's lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 11:26am
WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES a GOOD BREAM LURE?????????????????TongueTongueTongue
Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 2:19pm
For divers I think it is very important to either suspend or slowly sink and keep it between 30-60mm skinny minnow style on the longer side or chubby style on the shorter. For the surface 45-80mm they do take whopping surface lures and the tail of the lure should hang below the surface to help the hook up rate.
Small Scale Lure Creations; Lure making on hold ATM.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 2:59pm
Slightly different to poolie, I like suspending to very slow rising bouyancy in my bream lures.
Although everything else I agree with.

Friends have been experimenting with assist hooks on their surface poppers/walkers.  I really think the assists make a good prawn imitation look even better.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 5:47pm
IAM a fan of the skinny minnow too i use to rap led wire around the trebles for better hook ups WinkWinkEmbarrassedregards bob
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 5:50pm
Only ever caught one bream on a lure and it was by accident as I haven't tried for the. I was using a large gold chrome rattl'n spot on a sand bar after flathead. Caught a 42 cm bream and didn't it perform well. 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:08pm
When I started chasing Bream on lures (way back when the lights were lit by gas Wink well that's what the young 'uns reckon...it was only 1989) We would fish Rapala floating and countdown 5cm minnows mainly, sometimes down sizing to the 3cm if the fish were picky. Then we moved on to McGrath minnows and Attacks as they became more available but always liked the Rapalas when times got tough.
Did the BREAM tournament scene, went through the Rebel Craw craze, the 50mm T tail soft plastic craze, the Gulp craze and managed to get out before the Blade frenzy really took over.
I still use 1 1/2" and cut down 3" Slider Grubs for soft plastic work, and Rapala 5cm minnows for pontoon work, but have upsized my open water lures to lures more suited for Bass..chunky minnows, 70mm surface poppers and walk baits.
Bit of a tackle shop on board when I go Bream fishing, usually 4-5 Plano 4700 trays to cover any eventuality Big smile

kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:10pm
I think it all depends on the time of the year. When its warm and the fish are on top you have to use a popper, the small Eco prawn and cicada patterns are good choices. Generally I agree with the others who have said a small lure with near neutral buoyancy - the Bennett/Attack minnows, gold Predatek Min Mins and the Halco scorpions with the plastic clip are my favourite hard bodies. When its cool and the fish are down deep you have to get right down to them. That means blades and soft plastics worked along the bottom. Regards, Ken.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:16pm
WHAT about when the bream are activelly feeding on top of oyster leases?????????TongueTongueShockedShocked
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:20pm
When they are over the top of the oyster leases is the time when the fly really comes to the fore. Unlike a lure you don't need to retrieve a fly right back to the boat, you can just keep working it through the danger zone. Regards, Ken.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:22pm
Bob, that's when you need something like a small pencil shape walking lure or a slim wake bait, something just to make a little noise that won't spook em, but enough to excite them.

An unweighted soft plastic T tail worm (Atomic/Slider etc) rigged weedless is also worth lobbing in there close to the rack/top edge with small chance of snagging.

Brad

dishley View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dishley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:28pm
I give away the hardbodies when targeting Bream particularly when fishing racks. Plastics are much easier on the wallet to lose.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 7:32pm
SWEET the fly sound the go to put a bit of wood on them & brad ive only used squidgie bugs unwieghted on the sandflst  4 whitting so they may work also Big smileBig smileBig smileTongueregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic