Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's a good nude lacquer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Smick Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalbykayakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's a good nude lacquer?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
What's a good method and lacquer to use on cedar for a nude lure?
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:38pm
Cedar can be quite porous! I seal mine after final sanding and gluing with two pack "Everdure" sealer. Wait 24 hrs then a fine sand with 240 paper then sign and place eyes on. Then I apply up to five coats of acrylic lacquer. Usually only have to wait about 15 minutes between coats if it's a warm dry day... Cheers Ian
Fysshe
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 8:43pm
Marine Clear is awesome,,,,,goes on nice & builds to a think finish quickly,,,Gary
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:48pm
I do mine with acrylic lacquer.  As Ian said, the cedar is very porous, so it takes lots of coats to get a smooth finish. 

I paint mine over about 3 weeks.  The lure gets about 4-5 coats (allow about 10-15 minutes between coats) and allowed to dry/harden for a week before hitting it with 600 grit wet-n-dry.  Then another 5-6 coats and allowed to dry/harden for a week before giving it with a light rub with 800 grit wet-n-dry. I then 'sign' the lures and dot the eyes. The next day I give them 2 very light coats, to prevent the writing from smudging. Then they get another 5-6 coats of clear.

The clear acrylic lacquer is not an undercoat and doesn't stick to the aluminium bib very well.  Scratch it and it can peel off.  Not a big problem for lures that will only sit in a collection, but not suitable for lures intended for fishing.

Marine varnish may be a better option, but it will probably turn 'yellow' with age.

Good post, Ashley.  I'm also looking for a better clear coat.

Cheers

Travers
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 9:54pm
Seal your lures with a marine grade timber 2 part sealer. Then sand back with 240 grit and use a 2 pac clear or envirotex or similar product.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic