LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which paints?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grooveyguru1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which paints?
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
Hey all. New to making lures and have a question about where you guys get paint from. I have been using normal spray paint in a can but would like to try some air brushing to get a better result. The only paints I have seen are on the net and would like to source locally if possible. Would super cheap have something suitable or are craft paints suitable?
Cheers chris
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:21am
There are a lot of posts on paints and such on here with all of their strengths and faults. But there is too much technical data for my pea brain to handle. I think a start would be deciding what timber you are going to use as the different properties in some timbers may mean different painting techniques or type of paint to use - an example, if a timber has a high oil content then some paints may have trouble sticking.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:31am
Just google "lure lovers paints" and plenty of post from the site will come up and all the answers to any of your questions will be there.
Dan
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 12:16pm
Your local paint store should be able to make up RTU acrylics. Airbrushmegastore has Createx, RC Hobbies have Spaztix.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Grooveyguru1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grooveyguru1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:20pm
Cheers guys. Think I am on the right track now
toadfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 1:44pm
I use vinyl paint mostly , at times powder on metal . Warning the vinyl will make you nuttier than an organ grinders monkey without a mask on.

You and I can make a positive difference in someones life every day if only for a moment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic