LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who likes bibbing ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who likes bibbing ?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:04am
Not one of my favourite jobs but its make or break time for this lot I've been putting together for the last month or so.
Hard to work in such damp conditions with Etex and other glues, had a few fails with my Cobra's with wings going cloudy but I've managed to get a few punched out to be ready for the start of the Tassy season.
Bibs turn up next week from Huber's so it will be sticky fingers all next week.
Quiet a few red n blacks for the early season and a bit of a dogs breakfast from there on.

ill post some more pics of the ones that come up ok when they are finished.

Cheers Scott

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 2:20pm
They look good Fluff, real goodThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 2:32pm
lovely lures and color choices.....
yes i hate putting bibs in....ive got about 60 to do today...running out of days till expo...not enjoying it!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 8:40pm
Some nice colours there Scott.and nice  wide Cobra wings.

They paint the Cobra wings, I would look at it that you made the wings cloudy.Wink

Regards John

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 9:44pm
Scott, try cutting your own aluminium bibs and you will know how much I hate this part of the lure making process!  Gluing bibs is just, plain boring, but scribing, cutting and filing adds a whole new dimension to disliking bibs.

Beer

Travers
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:35pm
I'm with you Travers,
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2016 at 10:46pm
I'm new to lure making but have always made my own aluminium and polycarbonate bibs and to be honest I don't mind it that much. I only make batches of 25 - 50 or so when I need them, so any more than that and it would get tedious very quickly I think. Best part about making your own is you can always build a bib around the lure, and not the other way around which is sometimes the only option if you have a bunch of generic bibs. Agree though, making bibs is one of the least appealing stages in lure making.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:24am
i agree with Travers and ShaneCryThumbs Up nice lures by the way Fluff!
that's no how ye make porridge!
fluffnstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 1:03am
Thanks for the comments fella's.

Nicho- 60 is too many to do at once mate, take a break and go fishing...lol LOL

Travers- yes making bibs yourself is painstaking but like Raffey said you need to make the bib to fit the lure. i will try some aluminium bibs soon but i will procrastinate for ages as to how to paint them?
Your packs have come up well , don't think you will be taking too many home.

John- i have coloured the wings before, tried red , yellow and olive. the olive one was a standout. I see the snowy minnow is still serving you well

Cheers
Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:24am
Quick tidy up around the bib slot and another coat of etex ( yes another coat x3 now ) that should fill voids and they can be fished in couple of weeks.
Raffey- custom fitting bibs makes sense when you look at this photo with all the gaps around my bib slots, if only i had the patience and time..Wink

Cheers
Scott

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 12:23pm
Nice lures Scott. Paint work is very well done. Yes time is the main thing. I don't have any at all at the moment so lure making is the last thing I'm able to do. One of the things I like the most about making my own bibs is you can near instantaneously adjust the action and/or depth of a standard shape that you carve. Only time lost is the few minutes it takes to make the new bib. If a luremaker at the very least designs his/her own bib and then sends away to get them laser cut it still takes a while and can be costly with the initial CAD designs. If a maker produces lures in bulk as a quarry or full time job then mass laser cut seems the only viable way, however I think it's great for us "hobbyists" to make our own as it continually refines our lure models and creates multiple fishing options within the one lure shape.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 5:17pm
I'm with you Scott, it's my pet hate as well, so much time for such a simple job, and that tacky mess drives me crazy .
AND by the way, some very nice little lures there.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 10:41pm
Had a bit of luck with these three and another that I've misplaced some where at the weekend.

Fished Tooms Lake on Tassie's southern highlands for the opening weekend of our trout season, managed three nice Rainbows and a lovely Brown. i will post a fishing report asap.

Was concerned that the trailing hook models wouldn't hook up but im very happy with the hook up rate to date.The olive and silver lure was made with this lake in mind so that pleases me also.Clap

More bibbing to be done this week.....
Cheers 
Scott

Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 11:01pm
Very very nice Scott. Looking forward to the report.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 12:33am
those came up very nice ,i can see why the trout would like them with that slim designThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 12:38pm
Been a while since I've posted anything due to a family loss, xmas etc so here are a few experiments with body shapes and bib shape and function.

one of my standard shapes...

another standard..

10mm smaller than standard @45mm

I've made this style a bit bulkier than previous trailing hook models I've made 60mm long and around 12mm at its widest girth.

Pinched / borrowed this colour combo of orange gold and black of Raffey, this is more the original trailing hook size i started out making 60mm long and around 8mm in girth.
Raffey's work has inspired me to use the lace more and has also got my interest in bib shapes going, his style of painting is very suited to trout lures.

The stepped bibs I've  been playing with gave me a pleasant surprise with its head down bum up tight wiggle and good diving depth this one is 50mm long.

Another trailing with stepped bib @50mm.

A nice little 35mm Frog with a great wobble to finish with.

Time to get out and fish these as fishing has been limited since October, also i think my photography could use some practice.

All the lures are King Billy Pine, the Trailing hook models are used on leadline with great results so I'm keen to see how the stepped bib lures go, i think they will be better suited to flatlining or spinning, time will tell.
Cheers 
Scott
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:41pm
They look great fluffy one...nice color combos...all very nice, but for me as a fisherman to suit my preferences, that little froggy shape is the allrounder, will catch anything, nice work.
any reason for the larger resr hook, or just what u had at the time?
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:54pm
ClapClapClapvery good Scott, very good. I can see how I could use these on so many species. ClapClapClap
Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
Thanks gents

Nicho -only reason for shorter shank hook on belly is to stop them fouling and it was my last one so i will replace the rear at some stage.

matching colour schemes from my Cobras that i make "The Fruit Salad "

And the "Corroboree "

Cheers 
Scott
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:47pm
Wow. Simply gorgeous little lures there Scott. The stepped bibs look fantastic. Agree with Nicho - that little frog will catch any smaller native or introduced freshwater fish. Really like your airbrushing and choice of colours. Great to see you have finally got the chance to finish a few. Awesome.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 5:30pm
Artisticwow these are so good the detail in the paint is a credit to you Scott
Great job thanks for sharing 
Cheers
Justin
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 5:56pm
Nicho -only reason for shorter shank hook on belly is to stop them fouling and it was my last one so i will replace the rear at some stage.

That is the smart use of different hook shapes - bloody annoying have hooks link up.
Martin-

Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:11pm
Hay Scott 
 I am sick of sounding like a cracked record at how nice all the lures I have been looking at lately .Yours are very nice. The  "one of my standard shapes..." candy orange over yellow color is my favorite. The members on this site post some s#!t hot lures,, yours are very much included Scott 

Ill bib them for ya 
good luck getting them back but 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffnstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:33pm
Glad you like them fella's...

Doc- I've been using Createx candy dyes on these and the top lure  is blood red and tequila yellow over a platinum, good stuff to work with....

Cheers 
Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic