LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who molds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who molds
    Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:12pm
Hi i was just wondering who on site molds lures as most topics i see are ones made from timber.
Is there a reason for this or is it just tradition

Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 1:39pm
I think it is tradition and players choice. Wood has been the traditional medium forever really, its easy to work with, cheap and I think alot of guys just like carving and shaping. Dont really know though, I am sure other will chime in.

Personally, I do both, started with wood and still do alot of that. Have been building up the molding skills to a point where I am happy and will probably swing over to that. My reason, I prefer designing, painting and fishing. Got little interest in actually carving so molding is looking the goods.

Angus
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 1:51pm
I did a lot of molding in the late 80s and early 90s the lures looked good and worked very well, it's just that I like producing something in wood just a personal thing, the people doing the molding now are producing some awesome luresThumbs Up I've been carving since the 60s it's a miracle I still have fingers LOL
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
llokkii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llokkii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 3:18am
I am just getting started molding.  Got a kit from an internet site.  Came with a very nice mold and the resin sets up just quick enough.  Don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but I've already tried some interesting things with it and the results have been pretty ok.  

So far any of the molds I have made have been lackluster at best, despite spending countless hours preparing them.  Going to try some other options as the mold making material can be pretty pricey.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:44am
One of the up sides to moulding is you can make 10 lure bodies then cut bibs slots in later at different angles and shapes to get the action you are looking for. Knowing that its the bib not some slight differences in your carving. I always start with carving a timber blank and spend 2 or 3 days getting it right mostly sanding, and putty when I go to far I have not been blessed with an artistic eye with symmetry 
I was introduced to fellow in Wauchope who carved fish from timber and they looked like they had been snap frozen and dipped in a woodgrain finish 
Like the great Clint Eastwood said " A man's got to know his limitations!"    
So I mould
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 5:11pm
Hi,

Just thought I would briefly outline how my moulding history has been :

1. 20 years ago I was making life castings off grubs using plaster of paris, which was fair at best.

2. I then moved onto using hydrastone cement which gave a far superior ultra smooth finish, and after mixing a thick paste you merely lightly push your lure down into the plaster, which will set within ten minutes during summer. It can then be drilled for guide points before applying the top half of the mould.Note if you melt some Vaseline and coat the top of the first section of your mould, this seals it thus preventing the top section from adhering to the previously poured half.

2b. If you want a very fine join, then remove your lure from the first half and coat it with Acylic spray putty, give a light sand, replace lure body and put on the Vaseline sealant.

3. Next I tried using melted wax, which although very time consuming did give a great result - Just way too time consuming to be viable for me at the time though - Keep in mind the wax was only used for the base mould, then top section poured using silicone, and once set wax removed and 2nd half then silicone poured.

4. Nowadays I totally cheat and use 3D printers to print the base half of the mould, then ensure object sealed correctly before pouring silicone on top, and once set remove the 3D Printed section and pour the remaining half.

Anyway just a few thoughts that you mind find useful.

Steve
Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
Hi Stephen and thanks for posting on such an old thread and happy to share on where I have been on moulding 

3D printing is going is change the way we make lures in the future 
If you are using ABS have a look at vapor finishing 
Anyway good to see a fellow moulder on the site, Thumbs Up
We are not second class citizens because we mould LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic