LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wire twisting pliers.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wire twisting pliers.
    Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:51pm
Hey, I’m needing to buy a good set of wire twisting pliers. A google search shows they all look the same but I just wanted to check if any were better than the others. It seems they are possibly all made by the same mob but then just have different labelling on them. Also what is the preferred size plier most use for 1.2mm stainless steel wire

Cheers
Dan.
Dan
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 5:12am
Hi Dan

I do have collection of pliers which was the result of search of plier best suitable for through wire formation for the bait. The pliers which do your job and are comfortable to operate means the size and strength for bending the wire are the best. You need to try with different plier based on the wire gauge you are using more frequently. Today first time I did twisting of wire for my suspended bait using a normal heavy duty plier and it worked. There are pliers for instance for making a prefect eye of different diameters step jewelry plier, the list will be endless.

Try twisting the wire with plier you are having first ‘experimenting ‘ if that works nothing like it.

Regards, Raghubir

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:33am
This was covered earlier on L L (about 4 years ago)   aircraft wire pliers were suggested.

I chased  a pair up in Brisbane from a specialty store that was mentioned.

If you do a search you would probably find the thread.
My computer skills are not that  flash.
Regards John
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:42am
A Man's Toyshop has them.
Watch out for the EBAY "specials", some have plastic knobs and don't last.
Cheers,

Gavin
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:23am
Thanks Gavin. That’s the sorta info I was after. I’m in Weipa so I can’t just go to the shops and look at them.
Dan
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:48am
Aircraft lockwire pliers is what you’re after, good ones are pricey. You may have trouble twisting 1.2 mm wire, especially if it’s 316.

A small hook made from a wire coathanger and a drill works better and it’s quicker.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:06pm
I looked into a pair of aircraft pliers, but they are waaaay too darn expensive. and there's no way they are easier anyway. I bend the wire in half, squeeze the two ends into the vise, then use a drill with a cup-hook in the end of it to twist the wire. works like a charm and is very fast.

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 12:08pm
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 4:27pm
Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing of late. Great on 0.9 wire and 100lb masons but I’m needing to source a stronger cup hanger to twist the 1.2mm 316 wire.
For the 1.6mm wire for my bigger lures I was putting the 2 ends of the wire in the drill and putting the loop over a drill bit or nail in the vice and it twists up very very nice.
Dan
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 5:32pm
do you ever have the eyes bend, from a big fish?
I went to this, because it's more enjoyable than simply buying some eye-hooks, but also, I find the ones they sell to be too thick in diameter. which I suppose they need to be, as they aren't a full eye, just an open eye squeezed closed.
but what gauge wire would maybe be too small? and be bent by the fish. I know it would all depend on the fish one is expecting to be catching I guess.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 6:34pm
I've had a couple of eyes slightly disfigured. But more often than not I'd say an appropriate gauge of split ring would give way before the eye.
What I have seen is eyes pull out completely but I suspect a bad batch of glue was involved.
Better to have a bent eye and land the fish IMO.
Not sure if my view of the images is correct as there is no scale but it looks like only a couple of cm depth? You could use longer twists for better purchase.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 3:44am
some of mine are very short, but my lures are quite small also. but, i'm not getting into very large fish with them either. rainbows that are 10-12 lbs roughly, with the odd one getting up to 20 lbs. but most are below 10 lbs. same with the bull trout and dollies. the lakers are larger in general, they will be averaging in the mid-high 20s, but the odd one can be 40 lbs and more. but those are usually bottom fish and we are jigging for those big guys.
i'm making a couple lures for salmon though, and those will definitely need to be beefed up, with a better eyehook and solidly epoxied in.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 6:34am
Pastorino pliers made in Italy have a pair with a cone shaped top jaw and square flat bottom jaw.
These are sensational.
There are some out of Pakistan Stainless that are larger in size but I cant recall the site I got them off.
No trouble with 1.2mm wire. 
The Journey is the Reward

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 7:05am
for just average-sized fish though, like 10 lbs and under, they would never pull the eyes out, right?
I figure that the e-tex topcoat alone has to do a pretty good job with cementing everything in place. of course, with a strong-fighting powerful fish, even our big lakers, one would definitely want the anchor-point, the eyehook, to be as solid as possible.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:48pm
I’ve claimed a few metre + fish (barra, queenies, grouper) and havnt had a wire (1.2mm) pull out of deform. I’ve turned a couple of well made 4H split rings into pretzels 🥨 though.
Dan
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:49pm
Thanks Barry. I’ll look into those pliers.
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic