LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > What's your flavour?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your first lure...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your first lure...
    Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 2:57pm
Can everyone remember the first lure they bought or were given? Do you still have that lure or one the same? It should be an interesting topic... I'll start it off with my first lure: A Lucky Seven inline spinner that I bought from the Barber shop in Wagga Wagga in 1968 for $1.50 I think. Lost it the following weekend chasing Redfin and Yellas in the Murrumbidgee.. Cry I did buy a replacement that got me some nice Hunter Bass. Got this one in the mail today, the same colour and hook set-up. Tongue

Fysshe
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 3:58pm
The first lure I ever had was a Wonder Wobbler - but I never really used it so I didn't catch anything on it.

The first lure I bought and used (and caught fish on) was a Killalure Bass Bait - first fish was - a bass.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 5:39pm
Great topic.

One of the oldest lures I can remember is one I purchased when I was a teenager circa 2003. Plastic Goulburn Codger.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 6:52pm
Very very early on I had a few trout spinners and rubbers that came in one of those all in one tackle boxes at kmart.
The first lures I bought outright as lures were from kmart Blacktown NSW. They were a wonder wobbler. A metal pilchard. And a deep diving crankbait. I've still got that diver. I'll try to get a pic later. But no idea if any of the old rusted metals are those originals.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 6:56am
MY first that i fished were the wonder wobblers i got from hunter sports in mayfield nsw to fish for trout at barrington top as a kid WinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:33am
My first lure was a red and white (Qantas coloured) Bellbrook floater. A mate and I caught the bus out to Bondi Junction in the early 1970s to Hank Newman's tackle shop where we each bought our first lures. Mine cost about $2.00 which seemed like a fortune to a school kid. I bought a Bellbrook because my father, fishing with the Police Sargent from Moss Vale, had successfully used Bellbrooks to catch what they called "perch" in the Kangaroo River. This was back in the 1960s and long before Tallowa Dam. Straight after we bought our first lures, my mate I went fishing in Sydney Harbour on the headland near Taronga Park Zoo. You have to test them out don't you? After just a few casts I hooked and landed quite a nice tailor. I quickly went back for a second fish but was not using a trace only a snap swivel. Another tailor obligingly came along but bit me off, taking my near new Bellbrook with him. I was devastated. Regards, Ken.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:36am
My first was a "frog pattern" plastic Heddon Zara Spook which I purchased from the US after seeing an advertisement on the back cover of a comic book, would've been about 1978 I guess. I filled out the form in the ad and mailed it off with cash in the envelope.........a month or so later the lure arrived.
I lost that lure to an unseen fish in the Murrumbidgee at Wagga in 1980 when I was in the RAAF.
I still have a half dozen or so Spooks in the tackle box, billabong Barra love 'em.........
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
I love spooks Blinky - they are probably still the #1 easiest lure to teach someone to walk the dog IMO.
A frog pattern 'super spook' I think probably holds my personal record for most fish and most species on a single lure. (ie. one actual lure, not multiples of the same lure) Until the tow point broke off fighting a fish.
Phil83s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil83s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm
First lures i can remember using as a kid were the trusty old celtas. Growing up in victorian high country with endless trout creeks and streams, the celtas were the go..... my step father and i would "customize" our celtas by painting the spinner blade flurou orange. Trout just smashed em.... very aggressivly. Good memories!

Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:48pm
Mid size yellow floppy to chase bass.
L4
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm
First lure was RMG 50mm poltergeist. Landed me many bass at Maroon n Moogerah dams SEQ.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:22pm
[QUOTE=TimmO]First lure was RMG 50mm poltergeist. Landed me many bass at Maroon n Moogerah dams SEQ.

Interesting in that I have never hooked a fish with a Poltergeist - anywhere, ended up giving them all away. In these 2 dams I liked the 60mm dolls eye boomers and the 2 smaller sizes in the Cotton Cordell Big O, especially in the yellow , chartreuse or the dark green with onrange belly.
Martin-

TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:48pm
That's a shame Martin. Purple was my go to colour. I've even bagged a few Sootys up here in Ingham and surrounding areas on the old Poltergeist.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

[QUOTE=TimmO]First lure was RMG 50mm poltergeist. Landed me many bass at Maroon n Moogerah dams SEQ.

Interesting in that I have never hooked a fish with a Poltergeist - anywhere, ended up giving them all away. In these 2 dams I liked the 60mm dolls eye boomers and the 2 smaller sizes in the Cotton Cordell Big O, especially in the yellow , chartreuse or the dark green with onrange belly.

Barra love Polts, caught literally 100's on the fluoro green pattern.

As an old long gone competitor in the Barra Classic once said in his Champion Angler acceptance speech....."If you not using a Poltergeist then you're just not fishing for Barra".......never a truer word was said.....
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Craft View Drop Down
Craft Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm
Wonder Wobbler from Thompson &Watt Sports store in Southport in the early 1960s
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Barra love Polts, caught literally 100's on the fluoro green pattern.

As an old long gone competitor in the Barra Classic once said in his Champion Angler acceptance speech....."If you not using a Poltergeist then you're just not fishing for Barra".......never a truer word was said.....

I could never catch a fish on the Hot Lips or any Nilsmaster either, even when fishing alongside others having success with them.
Martin-

al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 6:55am
mine probably was a chrome wonder wobbler on wire trace. ,used to catch the bus into Hobart wharves and catch barracuta and bream in the Derwent river .some of the cuta were absolute horses,we had a flying gaff on an old piece of rope to haul them up over the pier.
Wild Harvest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Harvest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2020 at 7:06pm
Old thread revival.
My first ever were Elliots Dart & Killalure. I bought two of each at Big W back in roughly 1987 I think. Still got all four. 
A week later bought Rebel Teeny Frog & Grasshopper at same place, still have them..
Regards 
Geoff
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 10:34am
As far as I can remember this would be my first lure.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
That would've been one of the first of those I made...
Fysshe
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 11:23am
Still making them now, great Barra lure, bibs are a bit shorter now for local conditions.

Fysshe
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 2:16pm
Back in 1960 when I was a kid we used the Alpha Hogback ( Copper outfished Silver and Brass ) with a barrel sinker a foot ahead to catch 50 to 100 Redfin a day Then the Baltic Bobber became popular and you could get even more if you had access to a boat.
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 4:27pm
Medium size orange/yellow flopy...
Caught a beautiful Silver Perch second cast.
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
First lure was a 4" Tacklemaster spoon attached to a wire line and 9" handcaster that my brother-in-law gave to me. Caught a lot of school mackerel on that rig. Left the lure just this side of John Brewer Reef.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic