LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Metals - Jigs, Spoons, Slices and Vibes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z-RAY LURES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z-RAY LURES
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 3:32pm
Came across these two last week. Anybody happen to have any info on them

Note no split ring on front of lure
Regards   John

Hutto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hutto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 3:53pm
American lures, stopped production in 2011

This exerpt from an American forum..........

Yes, Z-Ray went out of business last year. I think the young couple that bought it from Joe Whittman didn't have the knowledge or the drive to keep it going. I knew Joe Whittman when he first started making the Z-Ray back in 63. He gave me a cigar box of them and a bunch of cards to hand out while I was on vacation in Idaho in 1963. I gave out over a hundred Z-Rays with his card to every fisherman I met. Most all of the people I gave those cards to called him and ordered more. Joe worked as a tool and die maker for Hughes Aircraft at that time, and it was easy for him to take a small piece of steel and twist it a couple of times to make the Z-Ray. It went on to be one of the most successful trout lures of all time. Sad to see it's demise. Old Joe recently pass away here in Tucson. I recently sold most of my collection of Whittman lures on E-bay, but I kep a few............

Hutto
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:12pm
Thanks very much  Hutto

Nice bit of detective work.

I will give it a try up here.

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 12:43pm
GREAT story cool lures shame there still not being madeBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic